Go Back   b-roll.net FORUM > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM

paulisphotoman
Default job market for experienced Photog's

Hello all, just curious if experienced Photog's are getting work actively now, if one was laid off during the recession ??.....I'm still looking, but work parttime at my hometown's small TV station, so thankful I have work, but in looking for staff positions, are things picking up or still stagnant ???
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM

AKinDC is on a distinguished road

Honestly?
I haven't seen anything to make me think that the market for staff photogs will ever pick up again.
At best, stations have been replacing photogs that leave a station with a new one.
More stations seem to be either laying folks off, or turning vacated positions into OMBs.
And actually adding photog spots? I certainly haven't seen it.
The era of dedicated photog/editors is slowly going away. And while I imagine most shops will always have a few, I'd be surprised if things ever really picked up again.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM

Shootblue

I'm at a mid-market heritage ratings hoarder, and we also have a scavenger station in the building. They tend to like to hire from within, but the last few hires are

Heritage-
A. No real experience, degree from a local uni.
B- Even less experience and I don't even know if he has a degree.
C- Shot some at the scavenger station, uni degree.

Scavenger-
A. Shot for several years in different markets...quality varies from pretty good to wtf on occasion.
B. Shot part time. No idea on schooling.
C. From out of the country. I think he shot some in his homeland.

I think other than Scavenger A, I was the last person brought in with any true experience and that was going on five years ago. We have added three MMJ's since I started, all within the last two years. Frankly, I have no idea what they want anymore. As much as they would like to make us fill our time with creating web galleries of screen caps from video we shot, I'd rather just be out shooting video.

It is certainly a new world.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 PM

paulisphotoman

thanks gents, I'm currently looking for FT position as Photographer/Photojournalist/Editor. I have extensive experience, do see the changing world and how it's changing news stations and positions to OMB's....I was laid off during the recession, would greatly appreciate any good leads on staff photog positions.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Marshall Staton

marstaton4

If you are looking for good leads you should bookmark every television company career website in markets where you would like to go and check there everyday. I frequently see good jobs posted on the b-roll job listings page under the resources tab. There are jobs out there, maybe not fantastic high paying jobs but jobs in larger markets do exists and are hired. In the south east where I am there are frequently job openings all around. Also keep your eyes and ears open and perhaps send the occasional email and resume and reel link to chief photogs in markets that you'd like to be in. Try not to be a pest to them, you want them to remember the good that you can do not be the guy that clogs up their inbox once a week.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Will Glynn

capitolheel is on a distinguished road

http://www.newsblues.com/Secure/Sour...s_stations.cgi
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM

paulisphotoman

TV station websites/TV Jobs.com and other sites are what I'm doing almost daily....I work two parttime jobs right now, am Photographer at my hometown's station, so at least I am working, but the pay (market 150+ I think) is so low, it's awful. I am TRYING not to be a pest to them, some days I really want answers, but know the Chiefs are so busy with tons of resumes to go thru.....I would love to move down south, Dallas specifically to Phoenix or Nashville, also the SE, if possible. I have resumes at all those areas, so I'm doing what I need to do. That's for the info....