View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
PRO user
Jim Sitton

jim sitton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog3535 View Post
If anyone is interested, the DART Center for Journalism and Trauma is holding a webinar next week: Trauma Awareness: What Every Journalist Needs to Know.

More info can be found on their website.
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of DART before. I just sent the following to them-
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I find myself in a very unique and tragic circumstance.
I have been a TV Photojournalist for almost 25 years covering all the usual local horrors. Thanksgiving night 2009 I became a victim. An uninvited cousin opened fire on our family. My six year old daughter, Makayla Joy Sitton was shot 3 times as she lay in her bed. My mother in law and twin cousins were also murdered right in front of me. One of whom was pregnant. As you can imagine the Sat trucks, cameras and reporters arrived in droves. I learned something about myself that night but I also saw myself as victims have seen me thru the years. (We're not a pretty sight) My family and I are now waiting for the death penalty trial to begin and the cameras are there at every hearing. I tell you all of this because I would like to get involved with your organization. I'd like to help others in the media to see the tragedies that they cover from the victims point of view. I believe much can be learned and taught from my unique and horrible position. The trial will not even begin until early 2012 so maybe we can document some of the good and bad as it goes along.
I'm not looking for face time. I don't enjoy being on camera. I'm much more comfortable behind it, but I think it's important to get something positive out of our heartache and honor the memory of Makayla.
Let me know if you're interested in helping me accomplish my goal,
jim

jim

If any of my b-roll brothers have any thoughts or ideas on this, I'd like to hear them.