View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
PRO user
Kevin Alexander

photog3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Longden View Post
Whats embarrassing about it?
The beauty is that you recognise that it affects you, but the best thing is that you are doing something positive about it.

Dont be embarrassed. Stand up and be proud, because it takes a real bloke to say what you have said.

Ben
I'm in the same position myself... For the longest time I felt ridiculous for struggling with what I've seen... I compared myself to police officers, firefighters, medics, and soldiers... But one day I was talking with a friend of mine who's a Marine... He fought in Fallujah, so he's seen some pretty rough stuff. But instead of patronizing me, he validated how I felt... For a marine to say that meant a lot to me, and I haven't allowed myself to feel guilty for the trauma that I have experienced from witnessing other people's trauma...

I just try to let my experiences focus on the pain of others, and realize that I have simply been a witness to some horrible life experiences of other people. When I get the focus off of my pain, recognize that I was a witness to the pain of others, and try to share those experiences, I think I'm healthy.

But when I withdraw and focus on me, how it has affected me... Well, then I'm not so healthy...