Zone Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

stix

I work in a market of about 1 million and growing farther out everyday. It's becoming a time challenge for our photogs to make it out to breaking news when our station is in the south end of the city. The desk loves to have the photogs nearby (in the building) when not on assignment (it helps him keep track of everyone). Does everyone have shooters roaming in various areas of your respective cities?

Currentchief

When I worked nightside in Tampa, our temporary newsroom was actually in Clearwater, about 15 miles from central Tampa.

I was often sent into Tampa to "wait for something to happen". As luck would have it, there was a Barnes & Noble bookstore near the stadium and I would go there, get a cup of joe and a good book and wait to be called. I would check in hourly and sometimes I never got called and got paid to read books all night.

Point is, I was sent to the other side of the market to shave 25 minutes off my response time should something occur in far larger Tampa.
For a larger staff, i can't see the harm in sending a photog to the other side of town. It can occassionally pay huge dividends.

Imachief

Actually, I think this is a REALLY GOOD IDEA! Provided a couple of conditions are met...first, are the photogs reliable?

Meaning; will they answer their phones, pagers, etc? Nothing like having a photog "next door" to breaking/spot news and NOT being able to get ahold of them!

Secondly; are these folks "floaters"? Or are they assigned to other duties in the newsroom? Like helping edit during crunch time? If they are truely "floating", then it makes perfect sense (to me) to turn 'em loose in various parts of town.

WV24fpspro

I agree in that its a really good idea...

I have been unable to sell both my non-professional idea (of the saem) or even the corporate memo idea to anyone just yet.

Perhaps my salesmanship and presentation need some refining?

LongTimePhotog

At my former station I would always float around when I didn't have much to do. The desk loved it and you didn't sit there like a blob at a computer all day. I would target a high crime/fire area and drive...close enough to the station that if I was needed it was a quick 5-10 minute drive back.

SmlMktChief

We cover two cities 20 miles apart. I have one photog near the station, which is in one city and I stay in the other city till around 3 or 4 incase something happens. It work out for us real well.

stix

It seems that most of you are in agreement that it is wise to have one or two at an outpost when they are not required to be paired with a reporter. It just seems to make sense! Thanks guys!

Special K

As long as you have the staff to make this happen, it's a great idea. But most places are trying to cut back. We have a staff of 11, and most of the time we are 1-1 with reporters as weekend folks need days off, vacations, etc. I heard a manager say we should have a staff of 14 the other day. If that ever happened, then we could consider doing this. Right now, it is not an option.

Dedline

most markets can't spare the body for a floating photog. If we're lucky a reporter is out and can't be replaced, then we're on vo/sot patrol. I agree it's a good idea otherwise, especially if your market area is huge.

See if your News Director will spring for it a GPS system. Desk would know where each news vehicle is at all times. I think it starts at about $3,000. Trucking companies use then extensively.
Try www.mtcpro.com or myFleet.com or cogz.com.
Would be good security in case of a stolen car. Big draw back is some crews do not like being tracked.

JTFCM

Originally posted by Mark McIntosh:
Big draw back is some crews do not like being tracked.
I'm a company guy, I'll work my butt off for you, however you'd find my two week notice in your mailbox if you put a tracker in my car. Sorry, but I don't work like that.

The answer is not more technology, it's responsible employees, people that will listen to the scanners in their zone. It would work out really well if you have take home gear and offer overtime to employees that cover spot news in the zones. Maybe offer to pay for a four hour minimum for a legit call. By me that's less than half of what a newshawk would get and better quality video too. Just my two cents.

SandRat

Strangley enough, we had photo meeting a couple weeks ago and our staff asked why we don't just use GPS trackers on our phones or in the car.

They seem like they have NO problem with GPS tracking...actually encouraged it.

no freaking way. i agree with photog steve there is no way in he11 i would drive a gps'ed car. i am all about the trust of your employee and the trust of the management. if they dont trust me than i dont want to be the floater.

dan bach

Originally posted by Mark McIntosh:
See if your News Director will spring for it a GPS system. Desk would know where each news vehicle is at all times. I think it starts at about $3,000. Trucking companies use then extensively.
Try www.mtcpro.com or myFleet.com or cogz.com.
Would be good security in case of a stolen car. Big draw back is some crews do not like being tracked.
HAR! Like I'd want my desk tracking me every second... I do my job, do it well actually, but I don't need them to be watching my every move.

Status
Not open for further replies.