You get what you pay for!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Rated:
posted March 07, 2005 04:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read many posts on here about stations having positions open and people complaining about the quality (or lack there of) of demo tapes. Not to mention the lack of tapes that actually respond to job postings.

How do you expect to get a quality photographer when you will barely pay him/her enough to pay bills and feed the family?

I'm just venting b/c I received an offer from a top 15 market and they only offered me 3K more than I'm making now (market 47).

Hey chiefs just keep in mind you get what you pay for. You buy **** you get ****!!!!!!

Currentchief

Don't blame the chiefs.

We're told: "You get X amount of dollars to attract the next POY and not a penny more" So, given this limited budget, we "buy" the best photog we can afford.

Upper management DOES NOT CARE if it's not enough to attract a married man with 2.5 kids. Soon enough, a single person with no dependants will happily move up 50 markets to take that spot. That's never said out loud, but that is the result.

This is not personal, this is business. The blunt truth is- as long as they can attract people at that low salary, they will never raise it. Why should they? People keep coming, don't they? This is basic business theory: "pay just enough to attract satisfactory talent. Any more is wasteful"

Impersonal? Of course. Is it right? Probably not. But there are 1500+ stations in this country and you will soon find one willing to pay you what you're worth. You're just discovering the painful truth many of us in the business for a few years have found out just as painfully.

Good luck!

CC

tonyfalcone

In my situation, I am not even told what the salary of the next photog hire is going to be. The ND and/or GM decide that without my input.

I can assume that if you have 5+ years experience and your tape shows it, you may be worth a little more.

Like Currentchief, it may not be right, but it is the reality of our business. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.