Would you hire?

NoJobTog

I have a friend that was working as a reporter, and he was under contract. He quit his job, thus negating his contract. He was a descent shooter, but really, really, hated his job as a reporter. If you had a job opening at your station would consider hiring them despite the broken contract, if he had a descent tape?

TexasDave

Make sure to look into a no-compete clause. Some stations have it, others don't. I worked at one station where an anchor just up-and-left citing family problems. He claimed he was getting out of thi biz, but he re-appeared on-camera on the other side of the county. I don't know what the end result was, but I know the lawyers went after him.

This actually has happened a few times, although it's always been on-camera personnel. I've even worked at a station where they hired away the competition, and she worked at the station and had to leave the newsroom for every newscast to avoid being seen because of the no-compete clause.

If he is a good shooter, then why not? Would be helpful to have someone with on-cam experience in case of a shortage! He's got two skills, and can be valuable.

NoJobTog

He enjoys news, and wants to be a photog. He hated reporting. There is a no compete issue but he has moved out of state.

leftcoastphotog

hey nojob...

Not to nit pick. ok maybe just a little. "decent" is spelled without a (s). with a S it is descent which means to go down....
lcp

NoJobTog

Yeah, I know I typed it out real quick and did not proof read it before posting the message ;0)

But back to the subject

I am curious as to how common it is for a photog to take on a contracted position in a different area of the newsroom and regret it.

Last edited:

Mr MoOz

My question would be on how he quit the job. Did he just up and leave, if so, no way. However, if he showed some class and helped them out as he stepped away from being a reporter in any way he could, then I would hire him if I liked his work.

People make mistakes or bad choices, they either grow from them and move on or sink further down.

If I was hiring, I would look more into who he is as a person than other candidates. I would not want him to bail on us. He is going to have to offer something concrete in he next round in terms of time, etc.
Not to say that really matters now ad days, heck he may have a better chance of going into management now! ;)

10minpak

give him a shot

I know I have had trouble finding experienced shooters at my shop over the last year with that said if he seems like a decent egg give him a shot.