WOAI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

<Wondering>

I'm interested in moving to a warmer climate and I see that WOAI in San Antonio has an opening. What's the word on the station? Thanks for the help.

W

<Wayne>

Their staff recently won 2nd place for television photography in the Associated Press contest, so I guess that says something...

Shootblue

2 of the stations there seem to have gone to a more lets say, energized style of video. KENS is more traditional. KENS seems to have more solid shooters overall. Do I know if this energized video hurts or helps viewership? no. Is it a gimmick potentially, yes. Is it a new way of looking at the way viewers watch the news--yes. Will they latch on? Time will tell. Is it NPPA? It could be sometimes, sometimes I think it would hurt the story. I simply viewed a few casts, and am no means an expert. I am not really judging any of them, just presenting thoughts. Reality is, it takes just as much concentration and thought to put together well engineered energized story as it does a traditional story. For what it is worth, at least on the hotel tv's i watched, the stations have the cleanest video I've seen, as far as technical quality goes (not ENG wise, all shows).

S

<Sal>

Try to talk to some of the "everyday shooters" at WOAI. You'll probably get a different assessment of the station than their chief will give you.

A hint: Not a lot of happy campers there.

M

<Mike VR>

I am sorry I am so late replying to this as I don't waste my time reading message boards mostly dedicated to negativity, whining, and complaining.

I am an everyday photog at WOAI and I like it. The impression I get from being in the newsroom and knowing my fellow photogs is that morale here is pretty good, but more importantly it seems to be on the rise. Are there some unhappy campers, sure. Are there more happy campers than unhappy, definitely. Would the unhappy campers be unhappy wherever they are, probably. Is their unhappiness based more the nature of the business rather than their employer, more than likely. Is this a common trend in most every shop throughout the country, yes.

We have a faster paced, flashier style here than many are used to. It takes some getting used to at first, but each of us is encouraged to employ that in our own way. The emphasis is on trying new things and pushing the norm and any type of creative idea is strongly encouraged and supported even if it doens't work. Collaboration and critiques are productive and always available. Not a bad environment if your goal is development. Is everyone behind it 100%, no. Is the majority of us, yes. Is it getting us noticed, yes. Does it seem to be working, most definitely. It has even led to another news director telling his photog staff to mimic it.

This is just my impression as an employee here. Now why don't we do something unique that would make us all a lot more happy like quit reading all the moaning and groaning that is on these message boards, turn off the computer, get out of the newsroom, pick up your camera, go find an interesting natpack to shoot, and edit it for the morning show. You know like we used to do when we were all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and just plain excited to have a cool job.

J

<Julie Buss>

If you enjoy shooting car accidents go ahead and apply here.

H

<Hola>

^ Unfortunately, that can be said of all of the San Antonio stations.

SAwood

wow julie, I didn't know you kept up on this site! that's impressive, lets talk about that. so what are your other concerns about the station?

P

<Pauly>

If you're a photog, KENS and WOAI are the only stations to consider, in my opinion.
I think KENS has better equipment. That said, I also think WOAI offers more opportunity for creative style. Some people don't like the flashy photography at WOAI, but it's no secret that they've over taken the market in photography awards.
KENS is Belo, which translates into good photography, but a more conservative style.
I like both stations.
Like I said, if you're really into it right now, wanting to have fun and experiement and learn a lot, WOAI is probably right up your alley.
And I work in Houston, so I'm not biased.

N

<New Sat Op>

The photogs will have to start doing satellite shots themselves. 3 photogs left recently, more want and are looking to leave. What does that say about WOAI.

The KENS staff? Word is the ND and Assistant ND is bring down the morale to an all time low! Lots are looking elsewhere.

A

<AFNow>

Originally posted by <New Sat Op>:
The photogs will have to start doing satellite shots themselves. 3 photogs left recently, more want and are looking to leave. What does that say about WOAI.
It says a lot of the shooters there wish their chief was more of a shooting chief instead of a house mouse. Word is that he's too busy engaging in circle jerks with the rest of the management to really take care of his department. Not a lot of happy folks there. According to them, only the "pets" get treated decently there.

The KENS staff? Word is the ND and Assistant ND is bring down the morale to an all time low!
Don't know about the ND, but the whole staff (photogs AND reporters) have been b*tching about the Ass. ND since she got there a year ago. The ND could score points if he fired her...

J

<Jimmy>

I usually try to stay away from this board... because of comments like the one above. But one of our "pets" told me to check this thread out.

I started to defend myself, the staff, and the station as a whole, but that's pointless. If anyone wants info on what we are about, you don't have to call me... Call and ask to speak to any of the photographers, or editors. I won't be offended.
All we try to do is encourage our staff of talented photographers to experiement. We try to bring out the creative edge that everyone of them has, and utilizes.
The guys that did leave took jobs in top 10 markets. They didn't go hunting for new jobs... The positions came to them because the photographers that left are extremely talented, and they certianly deserve the opportunity. I'm very proud of them, to say the least. We were all sad to see them go because they were an important part of our team, but when you are that gifted; with a great work ethic and attitude, other stations were bound to chase them down. Personally, I was not in the least dissapointed with them, I was very happy for them.

To the nameless guy from above... Why don't you call me, let's grab a beer sometime. I'll buy.

Jimmy Sena

Lensmith

You have class Mr. Sena.

This place could always use input from someone like yourself. ;)

My first paying job in television was in a small market Texas town. No place is perfect but any job in Texas can lead to bigger and better things. Dallas and Houston come to mind.

Isn´t it typical staff will complain because the Chief Photog spends time trying to communicate with management instead of running out of the building and never representing the needs of the photog staff when it counts.

I´ll take a leap of faith and assume you are the chief. You sound like the kind of person I´d work for in a heartbeat.

Best of luck and don´t be shy about joining us from time to time.

E

<elvez>

I'd work for Jimmy again.
good guy, He'll let you argue with him.
I just got it to good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.