Wireless systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

camchief

I'm looking at purchasing wireless mics for the staff. We currently use Lectrosonics. Are there any other good systems out there? What about Azden? Thanks

Sportsguy

Stay far away from Azden. We got the 1000 series transmitters and receivers and we've had nothing but trouble. Bad frequency response and output levels were just two that I remember offhand. (These were the inboard reveivers, though. I'm not sure about the other types...)

You may spend more, but the hassles you'll miss out on are more costly in the long run than the money you'll spend on a good Lectro.

mknisely

Oscar, I have just completed an upgrade of our all of our wireless systems. It was not an easy task.

For years I have shot with nothing but Lectrosonic. I had a chance to demo a few wireless systems Azden, Sennheiser, and Sony. I was not impressed with Azden and Sony. Sennheiser on the other hand is well on it's way to making a great wireless system. I felt it fell short on function over form and would not be up to the riggors of dialy ENG use.

I decided to pick out of habit, reliability, range, and cleanness in frequency to go with the Lectro UCR201. It is a synthesized wideband UHF system which features 256 selectable frequencies. Tracking front-end in the receivers. Dual-band compandor. Advanced diversity reception. In short you could hang someone over the edge of the Williams Towers and still pick them up clear as a bell on the street.

You really can't go wrong with these microphones. If you have nay more questions drop me an email.

Peace,
Matt

Dedline

Agreed. we are also slowly swapping over to the lectro UHF 201 from our old VHF 187 systems. We seem to be experiencing heavier demand on our 9 volts, but it is well worth it in my mind to avoid pain in the a$$ repairs, rf noise and wireless rig downtime. no problems in the last year, plus it should be MUCH easier to get a clear frequency at the Republican Ntl Convention in NYC. "What? that's taken?" (switch) "how bout this one? that's ok? thanks!"

Wideangle

Since when were you allowed to get on the
convention floor with a wireless? I always
encountered a ban on them on the floor during
past conventions if memory serves me...

Dedline

They have RF police the past couple conventions I've dealt with. You contact some RF coordinator months before and submit a few frequencies for approval. If nobody else has got it, you're in; so if we want 2, we submit like 4 or 5 to try and get them, and give back any extra. They've got radio freq analyzer or something and try and track down people stepping on pre-approved freqs. Had someone stop one of my guys in the hall once just to check his freq. Afterwards they put a stadium type sticker on it that said something like "Verified". Was pretty interesting to me.

Sportsguy

This is nothing new. The NFL has had frequency coordinators for the past few years. I've been accosted many times by these guys. After you give them your freq., they quietly go away to bother others.

They're pretty nice about everything. My only issue with the wireless, particularly Sony and the Azden is not know what freqency I'm actually on. I know what channel I'm on, but I don't know what the means in relation to the freq...

Deaf and Blind

On a personal note I have found the Sony WR series of radio mikes fairly reliable and you can always cut a deal with sony if buying in bulk.
(I wish I had that much money)
At the end of the day it's bang for the buck Vs local service, cost of service & availability of spare parts. Then it's ease of use freq availability (do you discuss freq alocation with other local networks?)
Some of the new lectrosonics have not impressed after using them but for me I know the sony is a known quantity no matter where in the world I pick a set up from.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.