What to put on my demo tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cono1018

I'm trying to put together my demo tape but I have not idea what to include, as I never did one for my current job.
What kind of material do I need to have on there? Should I include entire packages or should I trim them down? How long should it be? Basically, what should and shouldnt I put on my demo? Thanks!

Rad

If you edit your own work, that put the entire pkg down... Don't send a montage, I want to know you can tell the story from end to end. And don't send me a fire unless it's unique! Anyone can shoot big flames, find me the story at the fire.
Pkgs with lots of nats, nice framing, good lighting, clean audio and good storytelling.

cono1018

Does it matter what type of stories I put on there (spot, features, etc.)? I have a sweeps package I did that is about 6 minutes long. Is that too much? How many packages should I put on there?

Baltimore Shooter

How about a demo reel besides news? I'm thinking I should update my reel. But I rarely do news, I do docs, magazine shows, corporate, etc. Any suggestions for demo reels for other than news gigs?

Thanks,
Warren

Trybe One

tape shouldnt be longer then 10 minutes.
get tired of watching things over that long..
Spot, General, and a feature would be nice..
no 6 minute long storys, unless you are trying
to get a specials gig... want to see what you
turn on a daily grind... dont put countdowns,
simple slate at the start and end of tape.
Name, Hm #, Cell # and email, and hm address.
if you shoot live shots, put some Live Shot on air pkgs with them.. Want to see how you Liven Up the shot, Walk and talks, And if you are at a lame shot i want to see a static live shot, see how you compose your shot... If you dont have a light kit not your fault, if so let me see your lights in the pkgs, and live shots....
any other questions...?

stix

Man do I hate the montages! I often get tapes for critiquing from very small markets and they invariably give me stories that may have been the story of the century in that particular market but were terrible for the demo reel ! I hope to see a little bit of everything - spot, feature, day of. I don't care that you went to some exotic country on a shoot if the story doesn't lend itself to your particular assets. I have a hard time with tapes from production shooters. The pictures and fancy editing are great but shooting news on a daily basis is like being a "video mercenary" , get in, get the job done well and get out! I don't think a lot of production shooters can handle the riggers of news.

Rad

Originally posted by stix:
I don't think a lot of production shooters can handle the riggers of news.
I disagree…. The best news photogs I know have a strong production background. They take that production quality and adapt it to the quick-turn environment of news. I’m not saying ALL production folks can make that move to news, But many can. I think it’s harder to go from News to Production… the corners you cut to get on the air in News would never be accepted in the highly polished production environment.

But I do agree with the assessment that News is “Get in, Get out, and make it the best with the limitations you’re given.”

Eaglewolf

What kind of material do I need to have on there? Should I include entire packages or should I trim them down?
A well rounded collection of Gen., Spot and Feature and at the end an awsome nat-pak. If you are limited, send what you can but make sure that it shows your true style both in shooting and editing. Chiefs are looking for disipline and talent-potiential.

Minimize the bells and whitsles from production. A simple 3-4 sec. slate before each clip will do.

Good Luck! My search lasted for almost a year, but in the end it really paid off. I went from a Mkt. 158 to a mkt 35. During that year, I searched out the toughest photogs I could find to critique my work. It took that year to redesign myself in order to have the confidence to apply for a lg.-mid mkt. job. I will continue the relationships with these guru mentors because the learning never stops.

Peace, Bro.!

Status
Not open for further replies.