what the heck is a PBS style interview?

Starman

Hello,

I have worked for PBS before (my local station) but got passed up for another videographer because she "had more PBS style interviews on her demo reel"

It would have been an interview with George W. Bush, which would have looked good on my resume. I don't wanna be left in the dust on the next one, so I need to put it on my demo reel.

What kind of style is it though?

Douglas

I would assume "PBS style" means a high-end look like you see on Frontline or Nova. Usually (not always) they are some of the best looking head shots you'll see on television.

cyndygreen1

I worked for KQED in SF...slow paced, quality lighting, two mikes or a mike for each person. Nothing flashy.

Starman

I asked other people and they jokingly said the PBS lighting meant "crappy lighting and a fern in the background" I thought it meant a black background. Bummed about missing the opportunity to put a presidential interview on my demo reel and resume, but lesson learned, I am making a reel of nothing but nicely lit talking heads to some music.

Tv Shooter

"Half day" + "Presidential interview" = crappy lighting and a low rate.

This tells me that the person doing the hiring has no idea how to light "PBS Style". The stuff you really need, plus dealing with security and other issues, it'll take 45 min-hour of just moving gear in.

It's hard enough as a freelancer making a living one day at a time….much less half day at a time.

svp

Honestly, you didn't get the job because your rate was too much. Simple math. If a half day is $1350 then you assume the full day is $2700. PBS won't pay that, period. To the production managers, an interview is an interview regardless of who it is. In the end, PBS probably found a crew for a full day at your half day rate. PBS style was just an excuse to go with someone cheaper.

Starman

They said that we were only allotted 30 minutes to set up and 15 minutes for an interview. And SVP, just for the record my typical half day rate is 12-1350 for a two man, but for a full day it's only 1750-1850, so actually a little different.

Douglas

Honestly, you didn't get the job because your rate was too much. Simple math. If a half day is $1350 then you assume the full day is $2700.
Who does a half-day shoot for a half-day rate? Nobody I know. A half-day rate should be based on 2/3 of the full-day rate. For example, if a full-day rate is $2000 then the half-day rate should be around $1300.

svp

Well I used to do half day for $950. Now, I only do full day rates, no half days. Full day two man is $1750.

Douglas

The actual dollar amount was not the point I was making. It's the ratio of the rates -- 2:3 -- no matter what the actual price is.

And maybe I'm just getting old but I prefer a half day. 2/3 the money, and 1/2 the time. A good deal.

Douglas

Starman, when this interview hits the air, send us a link so we can see what they considered to be a "PBS Style" interview.

wtv

From what I have seen minimal lighting and background totally out of focus but MUST look good.