What Secondary Camera Do You Use?

Phojokash

I've seen many fellow photojournalist posting on social media their use of multiple cameras for interviews. Currently, I use a Go Pro as my secondary for the wide cutaway two shot.
As part of an Investigative News team, I've been asked to incorporate more of the reporter and interviewee back and forth, and get the reversal shot of the reporter. The Go Pro can get the job done but I want something a bit more controllable.

My question to you all. What type of secondary camera do you use? (make/model)

I am asking because my executive producer told me to get a pricing on possible cameras and maybe the company will purchase it for me. Now I have seen many use DSLR cameras but that may be a bit too pricey. Anyone know of any consumer cameras that could get the job done?

I second that about chip size. I'm not in news anymore, but still do a lot of doc-style work. Was on a 2 camera shoot recently that illustrates this problem. Shooting against a dark backdrop (very moody interview), and using a cookie to get a bit of detail from the backdrop. Anyway, A CAM was a Sony FS5 and B CAM was a Panasonic HPX500. So trying to match between a large sensor and smaller sensor. Color wasn't a problem, but getting the exposure to match was virtually impossible because of the limited dynamic range of the HPX500. The FS5 was able to hold a good exposure on their faces while also bringing in some detail from the background. But the 500... Exposed for the face but couldn't get detail from the backdrop.

All that to say... If you truly want to match well sensor size should be a concern. But if ergonomics is more of a concern, I'd say a GoPro or small mirrorless camera like a Sony A6300. If I were shooting news, those would be my backup cameras.

svp

I use a Sony NX5U as a second camera. Great thing about carrying a second camera and tripod around is the entire back of my car behind the front seats is full so I don't have to carry around interns.

satpimp

" Great thing about carrying a second camera and tripod around is the entire back of my car behind the front seats is full so I don't have to carry around interns."

Answer Of The Day!

Omar

zac love

Oh, and a Sony A6300 is budget friendly. About $1000 I think.
Yeah, but have you heard about the overheating? I don't have experience, but I think unless you're only doing short clips you might have lots of problems.

Sony A6000 can have overheating problems too, but much more manageable.

Both have 29min record limits, so if that's a problem, get a Panasonic GH3, GH4, GH5, which will record until the card is full or the battery is dead.

Yeah, the overheating is certainly an issue. I use it on a couple of personal, probono projects I do for a particular charity organization. Last year was shooting some interviews in 4K and I had to stop every 10 minutes or so due to overheating.

For shorter clips or general b-roll, it's a good option. But I only use it for interviews because it's convenient to travel with. These interviews were all across the country, and I needed something that could easily fit in my backpack.

Alaska cameradude

I think the 6500 has much less of a problem overheating. Definitely nice for
travel because it's so small. I'm waiting for the day Sony builds a camera
with the FS7 codecs and frame rates, the FS5's variable ND, and the a6500's
oversampled 4K sensor, in camera 5 axis stabilization and I wouldn't mind it
if they threw in the 6500's autofocus as well.....it'd be useful every once in
awhile. Ha, who am I kidding?

The Thrill

For quick-n'-dirty cutaways on a presser, I just whip out the iPhone (set to shoot 720p/60fps video, matches my P2 HPX-380 pretty well.)

For bigger projects, usually a GoPro knockoff...sometimes it matches, sometimes not so much. Or perhaps an HPX-170 for a true 2-camera shoot.