WARM CARDS

J

<JASON BLISS>

I bought one of those shooters blues cards (13 dollars)on eBay and I think it is well worth the money. They are smaller but that is what I wanted. We have the normal warm cards at the station and my card worked the exact the same way, after all it is just blue you can't screw that up. I could have just copied the one at the station but this was a cheap alternative.

E

<Eric>

Ok, I bought one of those shooters blues, and I think I like it. I hate that the orignal warm cards are 70 dollars and lets face it the cheap-o's at the station are not going to buy them. Good quality and a good buy.

T

<TEX>

Well, Warmcards cost a bit more because the are not only better quality, but you get so much more in the package. You get a total of 8 cards in two different sizes. Anyone that has a real set of warmcards will tell you that you need both sizes and the all the colors come in handy. If you think one card can fit all circumstances, you are wrong. On top of that you also get the zippered carrying case and lanyard. I mean we are talking about an accessory that is 1/2 the cost of a single Tiffen filter. What;s the big deal?

news-shooter

I Use them day to day. I Like the 1/2 for outdoors. You could probobly get away with getting the Plus pack at ENGGADGETS.COM for about $23 bucks. It also includes the minus green. I Used the 1/2 and didn't tell anybody. The producer approached me after my pak aired and wanted to know how I "lit my reporter". She really loved the look. and this is with the 1/2.

]Originally posted by <tv shoots>:
Has anyone used them in their day to day shooting for tv news.... interviews, b-roll etc. I would like to try them, but I don't know if I can get the chief to cough up the 65 bucks. I don't make a lot so I might have to think about it. [/QUOTE]

H

<Haus>

Hey, I love white balance cards! I have both the warm cards and the shooters blues. I use the Warm cards for series stuff but I use the Shooters blues everyday. The Shooters blues cards are just easyer to carry around. They all work the same thought! If you do not have one GET ONE. eBay is where you can find Shooters blues ($13.00) and right here is where you can find Warm cards ($70.00).

news-shooter

[I found this works great outdoors with the 1/2 card. Anything stronger and the colors in the sunlit areas will be too orange.]Originally posted by <soft&blue>:
I've just recieved a set, and I think they are going to be very usefull. I'm always boosting the chroma on the deck to add color and fleshtones...but it's not as axact as the Warm Cards.

The only downside; don't white balance on one in the shade and have any sun in the background or it will GLOW. Also if you are in a lit area that is higher than 4000 and there are also 3200 lights around, the 3200 will GLOW and looks bad.

One thing I have noticed if you are forced to shoot an outside shot in the shade, with direct sunlight in the background, white balance on the warm cards in the direct light and the shaded light won't have that blue tint. Plus the background will macth the foreground more naturally.
[/QUOTE]

J

<Jim K>

They cost anywhere from $45.00 and up depending on which set of cards you get. I recommend getting the full set with the plus pack card option. That will cost you about 90 bucks. If price is a problem then I'd say get the digital camera cards for $45. That gives you all 5 of the warm cards shades except only in the smaller size cards. For under a hundred dollars warmcards will improve the look of your video like nothing else. You have to try them to really understand. www.warmcards.com

Shootblue

I cannot emphasize enough, go with the Macie cards or DSC labs cards. A superior product all the way. Want to know more of why? Call and ask, they would love to tell you. I guarantee you that you will learn something out of that conversation.

Run&Gun

----------------------------------------------------
Dedline:
"Is there any cards available to get nice balances under flourescents? No green or blue tints.... "
----------------------------------------------------
They make an add on set that contains a green card for flourescents

104imdirect

I'm in TV News, and I own 1 set of warm cards: a minus green and a 1/2 blue. If I'm out and don't have my cards on me, I balance on something blue in daylight/tungsten and something green in flours. As long as it's not a deep shade, I've been getting really great color...By the way, I'm shooting on a DVC PRO 700-P.

At night, I only use the cards...the "ambient balance" doesn't work as nicely.

eugalc

I cannot emphasize enough, go with the Macie cards or DSC labs cards. A superior product all the way. Want to know more of why? Call and ask, they would love to tell you. I guarantee you that you will learn something out of that conversation.
I got the Macie cards when we got our camera set-up a little while ago. In addition to being a better product, he's the actual inventor of the "warm card.' This "other guy" essentially stole his product, and dubbed it as his own invention/genius.

If I was the seller of warm cards then I would be worried. I got to test out a Sony XD Cam and it has a function accesible through the menu called off white balance. This function allows a photog to manually warm or cool the white balance. I would white balance on a white card and then turn the function on and raise the kelvin temperature on the camera. It works like a charm with the flip out lcd monitor. I didn't have to use a warm card once to warm my video up.
Mike