Want to get into news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdubs

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I am a 25 year old guy and been shooting off and on for about 4 years for home shopping and really want to get into news. I know many of you will think "Why does he want to get into news" since I have been shooting in home shopping for a while. I am somwhat as crazy as the rest fo you for wanting to be in this business. Well here is my question I am in the mid 10 markets and can't find a job with my taape anywhere near me that is willing to hire me, I can't even get an interview for myself and have revamped my tape and resume many times just to get a "fresh look". Are there any jobs out there where i don't need to move that far from my family and still be able to work? Cp's let me know if you can help me out or do i just need to stay in home shopping where i hate it?

Currentchief

I just hired a guy from the ABC station in Duluth. Try there.

Otherwise, it's tough to stay close to home (unless you live in a small market) Sometimes, you have to move away now so you can move back later. At 25, this is the time to do it.

good luck.

Bdubs

Thanks Currentchief from what i have read so far from you and the others you are all filled with much knowledge you are. sorry just saw star wars. you people have so much wisdom to instil in us young kids. hope to work with you sometime in the future.

DOGNEWS

Sorry to say this but you need to move to a smaller mkt or take an editing job to get your foot in the door. you have people at those shops that have earned there war stips by working there way up starting in smaller mkt. Now if you really want to stay in that mkt try the video news editing first. That will at least get you in the door. Learn to edit news Vo/Sots, Pkg, Sweeps Pkg. This will allow you to see what it takes to shoot news. And talk to the station photogs ask for details in how the approach a shoot (learn the skill). Then when the chief is short on bodies to shoot. Get him to give you the chance to shoot. It would probably be a vo sot but you made the initial notice to him that you want to earn a slot and trust in shooting. That is where you need to prove to him your skills as a future news ptotog.

jajack71

Talk to other news photogs before you get into news. The reason why I say this is because news is changing so much you may want to just keep you day gig and work part-time in news to get a feel for it first. The pay is very low to start 17,000 to 20,000 depending where you go. Make sure this is a cool wage for you before you sign the line. Like any job the employer will make sure they get more out of you than they actually pay you so beware. Other than that go to tvjobs.com and there will be many photog jobs openings. It will cost you about 30.00 per year to have access to the site. Jobs are avaiable daily at least 40 jobs per day. Good luck on your quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.