volume missing

shoot da parrot

I was having some issues so I did a p-ram reboot on my MacPro Final cut system. Now my external firewire volumes (xdcam deck or camera) won't show up on the desktop or the finder. My other volumes that aren't firewire are showing up fine. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this issue?

bluffton

I hate to say it, but is the deck powered up and or plugged in? Okay, now that that is over, power your deck down and unplug it from the computer. Quit FCP. Plug the deck back in.

Top left hand corner click the apple>about this mac>more info>scroll down to firewire and see if the computer sees the deck, drives or at least acknowledges you have firewire anything.

I have had this happen where my power supply for a drive wasn't working to its full potential and I had to replace it. I hope that's not it here.

Good luck to you.

shoot da parrot

I did what you said and it does show the device under about this mac. But is still does not show up on the desktop nor in the disk utility. When I plug the deck into my laptop it pops right up. I also tried going right out of my camera and it doesn't pop up either. This is killing me, I have no way to get material into my system and have 30 projects in the hopper.

bluffton

If the drive and the deck show up in the "about this Mac" section, you may have to trash the preferences for the Finder.
MacHD>Users>Yournamehere>Library>Preferences>com.apple.finder.plist

Delete the plist but DO NOT empty the trash. Once you restart try that. While you are at it trash your prefs in FCP.
MacHD>Users>Yournamehere>Library>Preferences>Final Cut Pro User Data>
then trash these three... Final Cut Pro 5.o prefs, Final cut Pro Obj Cache, Final Cut Pro Prof Cache. DO NOT EMPTY TRASH until the application opens after the restart. You will have to reset all of you prefs and capture scratch.

I sure hope your board isn't fried.

Necktie Boy

My buddy says:
If you flashed it, you have to reload the system. And everything should be fine. If you flashed your system, you must have had a problem.