voice-over tips for new reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-one-b

Hello,
Does anyone have any tips that I could pass along to a younger reporter that sounds too much like she's "reading" her voice-overs for a package? I imagine that this must be a fairly common problem, and that with most people it'll eventually go away...But still, I'd like to be able to offer some constructive help instead of just saying "That was horrible, you sound too much like you're reading, do it again". BTW, I've encountered this problem mostly with people that have studied in radio...
Any tips appreciated!

S

<satpimp>

Have the reporter go over the script once looking you straight in the eye, rework it and then talk to you while they track. That forces them to be more conversational since they feel more like they are talking to a person rather than into a mic. I had a reporter that had such a problem several years ago I gave her a manaquin head to talk to in the booth and the road. It took time but did help the delivery!

Terry E. Toller

Make sure your reporter uses the same excitement in their voice during VO as they did in any standup. When going to VO, it is very disturbing to hear them mellow out...

Always double check the grammer and use the correct words. "The fire department got a parameter around the fire." Actual standup... "...found by passerbyers." Another real standup.

David R. Busse

Had the same problem yesterday. Reporter sounded like he was simply trying to spit out what he had written.

Reporters need to be reminded that they are telling a story, not calling a horse race or reading newspaper copy out loud.

If possible, try having the reporter deliver the voice track standing up. Often makes big difference.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
From my days as a radio DJ, I was tought that you should read aloud as often as possible to overcome this problem. Tell your "talent" that they sound too stilted, and that the best way to overcome this is to practice. A LOT!

My radio boss had me read the newspaper out loud while on the john, books at home to my roommates (man, were they annoyed) etc. If it helps them - offer to tape some sessions in the sound booth for them that are just practice - not for broadcast, and critique them for them. Let them listen to the whole tape first before you start ripping into them, you'd be surprised how often they'll pick up on their pregnant pauses and monotonous delivery on their own and work to correct it.

E

<earplugs>

Maybe someone has the answer to this. Why do sports reporters have to read everything like they're shouting?

Status
Not open for further replies.