Video Editor Opening?

Can anyone give me more information on the video editor opening at WGCL in Atlanta?

Anything about the opening, the station, just any good information.

thanks

Chicago Dog

Since you posted this in the Entry Level forum, I can only guess you're looking for a way into the business. Atlanta is a top-ten market; odds are someone with a lot of experience is going to get the position. If you're truly interested in the position, ignore me! No harm can come of submitting your résumé and reel.

If Atlanta is on your long-term radar, consider checking out stations in Savannah, Macon, Chattanooga, or Greenville. Smaller markets surrounding large markets often act as feeders to bigger cities.

Good luck!

thanks

Since you posted this in the Entry Level forum, I can only guess you're looking for a way into the business.
No I am sorry I put this here... I did not really know which forum would be best to post this. I am just new to the site and wanted to get some more info on the station.

thanks

thanks

1 year as a profesional with 5 years of internships.... just curious about the station. Also wanted to know what do news directors/chief photogs look for on an editor's reel? format? ex.?

Always good to get others suggestions.

thanks in advance

Chicago Dog

1 year as a profesional ...
Unfortunately, that might not be enough. The WGCL ad says they're looking for someone with at least three years of video editing experience (internships usually aren't considered). Like I said, though: it can't hurt to try.

You should also note that the position is listed as "temporary." Make sure you understand what you're getting into. You don't want to get the job, pack up, move out to Atlanta, and then find yourself out of a job in a month or two.

Also wanted to know what do news directors/chief photogs look for on an editor's reel? format? ex.?
The format is usually dependent on what the station asks for. Nowadays, a lot of candidates use DVDs or web video to promote themselves. The WGCL listing doesn't note what reel format they're looking for, so what you should send depends on what you think is the right way to go.

As far as what the hiring manager looks for: competency and creative ability. It's a little more difficult for an editor to show off his work than a photographer. I think you should consider adding a "supplemental" sheet along with your cover letter and résumé as a rundown of your reel. Provide a very brief description for each story. Why did you decide to include it on your reel? What skills does it show off? Why is it important that the hiring manager see this story? How long did it take you to edit this story?

Remember: you're going to include references. Don't fluff the "how long" part.

Ask Kevin to move this thread out of the Entry Level sub-forum and into the General sub-forum. This isn't really an entry-level question and you'll probably get more hits in the other sub-forum.

Last edited:

NEWSSHOOTER3

Video Editor

To the best of my knowledge we do not currently have a Video Editor opening. Our job listings are posted here (search Atlanta). We have a photojournalist opening on the jobs posting here. But, WSB-TV, in Atlanta, does have a Video Editor opening, listed on the b-roll.net/jobs page. PM me if you have any questions.