TV Studio Lighting

BRENDORXP

I'm attempting to expand my knowledge in this field. Does anyone know of any websites or blogs that discuss this subject?

The manager at the TV station where I work is allowing me to train as a director for news. I hope to continue to stay employed and maybe go somewhere far but my technical knowledge is lacking. Any suggestions?

svp

Nino is the best person to talk to about lighting. I think his website is EFPlighting.com

Necktie Boy

Lighting is lighting. Nino's site is great. Watch other newscast and studio productions in you city. See what you like and don't like. Back at your studio, experiment with the lights. Get someone to sit at the desk, and play with the dimmer board. Watch some of the net morning shows, and see how they light. You will find each network has a style.

Read as much as you can about lighting. Then test what you learned. When I have the time, I set up my lights and try different light styles by using different lights and placement.

BRENDORXP

Thanks for the tip. Sadly Nino's site is no longer accepting subscribers but there's a lot of useful info on his site.

So much to learn in this craft....

zac love

Lighting is lighting.
That is like saying a mic is a mic. You don't want a lav when you need a shotgun.

Yes a key light is always going to be a key light & a fill is a fill, but next time you're at a play look up & see if there are any Arri 650s, Diva Lights or Lowel Totas. Every time I look at stage lighting, I'm seeing very different gear.

I think Nino has lots of good info, but everything I saw on his site was for "temporary" lighting. Lighting you set up in the morning & is back in the truck at night. For us photogs, that is what we need to know for our job description.

I'm interested in learning more than my job description too, so I'm sure there is some forum out there with good info on "permanent" studio / stage lighting. So if anyone has a link, please post.

Necktie Boy

Hi Zac,

I think you misunderstood me. Lighting is lighting, in the field or in the studio. It's the ability to light a product or person in a way to show its best. Yup. the basic are used in the field or in the studio, but there is a style. Watch the networks' morning shows, all lit differently.

Sure, different lighting instruments are used, but the results are the same, great lighting. I really don't see the difference in using a 650w fresnel and a 300w fresnel. A light is light. The secret is how to use it. I do have good collection of lights. My style is using silks and flags and the right light instruments to get the look that I want. And some lighting tricks I have learned through the years....

I knew one DP that can use one light, white board, mirror, and a C-Stand, and use it for a three-point lighting. It looks great on camera.

Actually, lighting in a studio is a bit easier since the lights are there for you. You may have to move them around to create the look that you are seeking. No light stands to worry...And you get a killer dimmer board to adjust your lights.

And about sound...Yup mic is a mic, but you must know which mic to use, or better put, get the best sound with what you got. We could talk about that, but I not really a soundman...But I do have a good collection of mics and audio accessories.

Good to see you at the bash!