Trouble with Demo Tape

I am having some real problems with finding a job, i graduated in Februay 05 and still looking for work, Is it my Resume, cover letter, demo tape or is it all three? My demo is just some shots that i took i know that stories are better, but i am having trouble getting stories, i have been able to get some really great... well i guess b-roll and thats what my demo is. Any help would be great Thanks

bluffton

Yes, you have an issue. The cover letter and resume on paper are secondary to the all important TAPE.

Chiefs, ND's or whoever is hiring want to see if you can put that
b-roll into a story with a beginning middle and end. Having compelling audio, sound bites and natural sound.

You may need to go back to your college and find that professor you really got along with well and see if you can go out and get it done.

Or you could ask the tv stations locally if you can freelance until you can prove yourself.

What you can also do is apply for a production position in the studio full or part time and learn to "play" with the news gear during your time off.

Because you will be an employee at that point you should be able to go out with crews to learn more and experiment on your free time.

You really need to build some relationships with anyone and everyone you can if you get this "production job."

Good luck and I would like to the other ideas folks have.

I'm in the process right now of trying to put together a new resume tape.I graduated in May of 04 and I need some oppions and ideas.
What do you look for on a tape?Do you want live shots?Vosots?
Also,I was wondering if I can still use,or should use my internship/college stories?(I've been working about a year and a half now).
Ideas???/

Lost in Alaska

Use your packages, even if they are from college. ALWAYS put your best first. This shows you know how to edit as well as shoot. If you have a particularly good live shot, not just the reporter standing there introing a pack, use the reporter intro and out. Use vo/sots as a absolute last resort. They really don't tell a CP or ND anything about your work.

Dirge

bluffton said:
Or you could ask the tv stations locally if you can freelance until you can prove yourself.
I wouldn’t ask to freelance…I’d just do it. If you have a camera available to you, just leave it in your car and if you pass some breaking news shoot it. If you have a scanner, run out and shoot some stuff you hear about. Grab an eyewitness interview or two. Then just GIVE the tape to whatever station you want to work for.

The first time you drop off a tape; don’t even mention that you want a job. Mention that the second time you drop off a tape. By the time you drop off a third tape (and if your stuff is any good), they’ll know that you’re serious about wanting to work in news. That’ll put you ahead of all the other job seekers applying for an open position.

There are at least three photogs up here in market 4 that got their first job that way—one of which is a B-roll member. I know because I’m the guy who fought to get them hired many many years ago.

DERF

Really not much more to be said here. As a former Chief who hired for about eight positions over two years I would say the absolute last thing I ever looked at was the cover letter. Those things are fine and important for 99% of the jobs out there. But our job is visual and thus the tape is the key.
Seven to ten minutes is plenty if not too much depending on what you have on it. Active or well composed, well lit live shots are good becasue many markets are incorporating movement into their lives and if you are already comfortable doing that you should show it.

Typically the newer the better since you should have learned some new things after school. But be sure that you keep at least one or two good stories back in case someone asks for a second tape. Usually the second tape will be more specific than the first because the Chief may want to see more of something that is more along the lines of style for that station.

Your best bet would be to do a search and find the many other times that this topic has been raised. There are many good posts in multiple threads that will greatly help any with your concern.

Good luck.

Frank McBride

I faced a similar circumstance as my graduation was approaching. I knew what job I wanted, but had no tape that showed I could do it. I found another student whose ambition was to report and was also about to graduate. Together we rented/borrowed some gear, he worked up some enterprise stories to shoot, at we got to it. We ended up with 4 or 5 stories to shop around to potential employers.

The photography was awful, but it was enough to show my first CP that I had BASIC skills. Maybe that's an option for you.

FMc

Brad

This is what I did... I sent out a resume to all the small TV stations in the Canadian market (i.e. Lloydmindster, London, Medicine Hat) Took a job as a master Control operator, and started charming the News Director as soon as I got there. 6 months latter He gave me a "demo day." Went out with one of his reporters and just made the magic come to life.

In small markets don’t be scared to take entry level jobs. And don’t be scared to move out of province!

Cheers

Brad

I notice your from Winnipeg. Call Citytv. The Operations Director is Christine Hamilton get some advice from her. Ask if you can spend the day/week with their Chief Photog. I would call Brandon MB as well

Lost in Alaska said:
Use your packages, even if they are from college. ALWAYS put your best first. This shows you know how to edit as well as shoot. If you have a particularly good live shot, not just the reporter standing there introing a pack, use the reporter intro and out. Use vo/sots as a absolute last resort. They really don't tell a CP or ND anything about your work.
Thanks for the help.It's a good start for my new demo tape.....

Brad, i did my 100hrs of work exp. there, i asked if i could follow her photogs but she said that after my work exp that was it, unless i had a job there! not that she was trying to be harsh, i know that having a wet behind the ears rookie tagging along could be a problem.

As For the reporter in a class with me that didn't happen so i am tring to do it all myself, if i had someone to report for me i would, but now i have to look for stories when i have a camera (rare). and to move out of manitoba or even just winnipeg would be fantastic!!