Transcribing Interviews

Hess

PRO user
Greetings,

So I shot this great interview of a former Basketball player from Syracuse. It's about 90 mins long.

Now I have to transcribe it and it will take me way too long to do it manually.

I know there are services that will do it for a fee, but I can't really spend that type of money.

I know Premier has something in the Metadata functions that will transcribe, but I don't think it works all that well and once I lay it to a timeline, I'll lose my original time code.

Is there any software that will transcribe video with time code?? Or do I just need to sit down for the next week or so hand hammer it out.

Thanks.

Joey

Necktie Boy

Yup, Premiere's isn't that great.

If the interview is that important, spend the money. In the end, it will you three times as long and be 75% correct while a service would do a better job and be 100% correct. I don't think the cost is that much.

On your end, you have to send a MP3 with TC.

which you should be able to simply export from the video file.

Which begs a question to others on here, who is still doing transcription MP3 I have the recorder in my bag but only run into a producer that needs/wants it perhaps 3 times a year. Others have told me that they are exporting from the clip or using the actual source media to log.

prosheditor

I agree with getting it done the right way, whether you spend the time or get a service to do it better and faster. Pay now or pay later to fix it. When I checked years ago about in-house logging rates, it was about $100 / hour. That could have changed by now.

Out of curiosity, how much does an external logging / transcription service typically cost?

Last edited:

cyndygreen1

Pay the pro is the best route.

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking and do my own...but since the program only recognized one voice, I listen and simultaneously record into the program my voice repeating everything.

About 95% and better accuracy but still a pain to have to do it. I do end up knowing my material a lot better though.

Hess

PRO user
Thanks!

Another producer in our office took it home and spent last night transcribing it.
He said it wasn't to bad once he got into a rhythm.

Thanks again..

Hess

svp

Not sure why it would take a week to transcribe a 90 minute interview. News reporters do it daily and some of those interviews are 30 minutes and they log and write the story in about an hour and a half. You should be able to do it in half a day.

cyndygreen1

Most reporters don't transcribe entire interviews...they listen and take notes on the segments they think they'll use. Quick and dirty.

For a 90 minute interview and using Dragon it would take me about two hours.

Lensmith

Exactly Cyndy.
Some consider "transcribing" to be each and every word...like a legal document...and others...a general road map to find the key bites they want quick and dirty for a news deadline.

Hess

PRO user
Just to Clarify

I don't type, hunt and peck method is fast for how I type, that's why I said it would take a week.

Thanks again for the help, we are looking at Dragon and typing classes.

All the best.

Hess