Tonight's episode of Trauma

Spenny!

Did anyone check out tonight's episode of Trauma (NBC) ?

One of the calls the paramedics get sent to is for a live-truck accident.

The live-op was doing a live-hit, while driving with the mast up!

The camera guy says "we have to stop the live, we're getting a beeping noise." (Gee wonder what that could of been: the mast up alarm!?)

Then the truck drives into power lines...flips...people inside suffer traumatic injuries.

I realize it's all Hollywood and that the technical details are way off on this one, but we all know of accidents where the truck op started driving and left the mast up. We actually had a tragic accident here in Toronto in the 1990s when a truck op for a smaller station drove under the Gardiner Expressway with his mast up. The man was killed when the mast crashed down on his vehicle.

Still, a part of me wishes they had actually consulted some TV news people on this one. I mean, it's a TV show!

Live driving shots are possible: we do them all the time on our channel (we use a different microwave antennae technology for those). Oh well, I guess us TV news types are picky. I'd hate to be a doctor watching any medical drama and seeing all the details being consistently wrong.

Cheers!
- Spencer

Stoney

Probably a OMB from KRON...

Did anyone check out tonight's episode of Trauma (NBC) ?

One of the calls the paramedics get sent to is for a live-truck accident.

The live-op was doing a live-hit, while driving with the mast up!

The camera guy says "we have to stop the live, we're getting a beeping noise." (Gee wonder what that could of been: the mast up alarm!?)

Then the truck drives into power lines...flips...people inside suffer traumatic injuries.

I realize it's all Hollywood and that the technical details are way off on this one, but we all know of accidents where the truck op started driving and left the mast up. We actually had a tragic accident here in Toronto in the 1990s when a truck op for a smaller station drove under the Gardiner Expressway with his mast up. The man was killed when the mast crashed down on his vehicle.

Still, a part of me wishes they had actually consulted some TV news people on this one. I mean, it's a TV show!

Live driving shots are possible: we do them all the time on our channel (we use a different microwave antennae technology for those). Oh well, I guess us TV news types are picky. I'd hate to be a doctor watching any medical drama and seeing all the details being consistently wrong.

Cheers!
- Spencer