To the people who argue technical quality doesn't matter in news...

svp

When Marco Rubio was in OKC, we were supposed to have an exclusive one on one with him before the rally. At the last minute a Tulsa station was added to the one on one list. Even though I got there two hours early, the Tulsa station was there with their one light and VJ camera. The sit down interview became stand up interview. In the end, I asked the Tulsa crew to let me light it and they could use my lights for their interview and they agreed. We both got our interviews and then I began breaking down to get the interview back to the station. That's when the Rubio campaign manager stepped in and said she loved the lighting and wanted to know if I'd leave them up so they could shoot their campaign video using my lighting. I asked when were they planning to shoot it and she said after the rally (about an hour later) and I said I couldn't wait around that long. His campaign videographer only had one light, just like the Tulsa station, and really wouldn't cut it. As much money as they spend on campaigning, you'd think they'd hire a professional crew to produce these videos on the campaign trail but nope. Like a kid uploading YouTube home movies. Trump though, demands quality. He's always been like that. I've seen outtakes of sit down interviews he's done in the past, one was a 30 for 30 ESPN shoot, where they've waited months to get sit down interviews with him and then when he sits down, he asks to see the monitor to see what the shot looks like and when it wasn't up to his standards, he got up and left and refused to do the interview. In the 30 for 30 shoot, it was a sit down interview but the photographers weren't using tripods and Trump shut it down real quick. Even he knew you use tripods. I guess he wasn't impressed with their attempt at some artsy and different way of doing things. In Trump's defense, that episode was very hard to watch and the no tripod sit down interviews looked terrible.

Its a smart move on his part anybody remember the photo session John Mccain did with Jill Greensberg in the 2008 campaign. Image and how you project it matters, another good example might be the deal with FDR not doing photos or interviews which might highlight his polio.

In It has always amazed me that the campaigns tend to use B or C tier people to shoot for them. With as much as these guys have riding on the line and as much money, is being spent I would want to hire a A level crew not somebody's kid with an I phone.

Focused

Totally agree

I have spoken to different campaign groups (local and state level) where there is less of everything. Money, resources, etc. so you expect the iPhone. At least they were interested in making it look better.

For the national campaigns I would expect more. But how do you get an A crew to dedicate 8 months to a campaign schedule with a dozen appearances every day?

svp

I have spoken to different campaign groups (local and state level) where there is less of everything. Money, resources, etc. so you expect the iPhone. At least they were interested in making it look better.

For the national campaigns I would expect more. But how do you get an A crew to dedicate 8 months to a campaign schedule with a dozen appearances every day?
The really sad part of it is the national campaigns usually do hire someone who travels and shoots everything and that person is usually paid between $100k-$150k for that 8 months. However, its usually just one guy or girl with a DSLR and one light/no tripod. Added to the problem is the campaign usually has the candidate's schedule packed tight so even the campaign photog only gets about 5 minutes with the candidate to shoot something. It makes for the perfect storm of mediocrity.

Lensmith

Those campaigns are just as budget conscious as any business.
And just like any other business there are plenty of young folk with lots of energy who will work long hours for a candidate they support.
Thus...it is what it is.
Another example of why what many consider "quality" is not a number one priority.
Those poor folk work ungodly long hours "on the run".
What ever they make...they earn every cent.

Douglas

Trump though, demands quality.

Really??? I have yet to see a properly lit nice-looking interview or live shot with Trump. Not a single one. Maybe it happened and I just missed it, but i think his stuff looks awful.

Icarus112277

It's complete BS. I happened to be working a network show with a scheduled interview that day. A couple minutes before the hit he stood up and started mumbling about the microphones 'those aren't the same microphones we use at the networks'. Sounded like he was trying to berate the audio guy standing next to him. The audio guy responded along the lines of 'ok sir, whatever you say'. Then Trump started mumbling about the shot (the shot looked fine) and how they need to call someone and his assistant said something like 'Ok sir I'll call them right away'. Then he stormed off. He was obviously grasping at straws to blame for why he felt uncomfortable.

He's a big baby and he always has been (I've worked with him a few times). When things aren't going his way he finds something or someone to blame and runs away.

He eventually phoned in and blustered on for a few minutes, completely ignoring questions as usual.

svp

Really??? I have yet to see a properly lit nice-looking interview or live shot with Trump. Not a single one. Maybe it happened and I just missed it, but i think his stuff looks awful.
I have to admit the sit down interview I saw him do on CNN last night looked AWFUL. Trump looked bad enough but it was a two cam shoot and the reporter wasn't lit and didn't have a mic on. On-cam nat mic was used for the reporter's questions. Absolutely terrible.

Icarus112277

Also, Trump is the type to schedule late, 'firm' late, show up late, and then blame everyone else when things go south.

Just surprised he's out shaking hands. He used to be extremely germaphobic.

ehansen

I once set up a nicely lit two chair interview location for an Obama interview, the local stations were all going to get a one on one in the same spot, so I set it up. Then Bam! it became a free for all standup interview and looked awful. The campaign people screwed us all up with promises and then breaking the promises.