To be or not to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDrnbrgr

...Chief Photog.

I've been at this station for a little more than two years, and the station hadn't had a chief for years. A new ND comes in and had talked about putting one of us in that position. None of us wanted it because we would then be salaried. And we all know what happens to the salaried folk. So we still don't have one. One of us is more talented in the technical area, and one of us is more artsy. The ND didn't make up their mind, and so we are still getting paid by the hour. :D

Imachief

I'm not sure it was up to the ND to make up his/her mind. I'm thinking it was up to one of you to step up and set an example.

Being a chief isn't about getting paid by the hour vs. a salary. It's about wanting to set a certain example in the newsroom. It's about leading people, being their advocate to management, and about being the "boss" when you have to be one.

If getting paid by salary is all you are worried about, then NO. You should NOT be chief. Of course, you could always negotiate yourself a nice fat raise. After all, you would be "Management".

Personally, I like being a Chief. But, I'm lucky. My ND really has by back when I need him to. So does the Chief Engineer when it comes to technical issues.

So, if you want to be the responsible one, set a leadership example, implement policy, and make a big step up, then by all means, be the Chief. It sound like your ND really wants someone to rise to the challenge.

Apply, or not...your decision. Either way, good luck.

SmlMktChief

I have to agree with Imachief...step up and take charge. Being Chief is more than how much money you can make. Being Chief is making sure that EVERYTHING that goes out on the air is the best it can be...it means being a mentor to newby's and even to shooters that have been there for a while...it means setting a preidence of how you and the station want stories to look on the air...it means being a boss and a friend. Consider the options OTHER than salary or hourly. It is a step up into management and there is no telling where you could go from there...my ND is my ex-chief when I started. You just never know. Good luck!

BluesDaddy

So negotiate. Agree to take the gig if you can stay an hourly employee. It is worth it if you're being compensated. I'm guessing you're the "artsy" one and Kevin is the "technical" one? Ask me how he jump-started Live 2 in the field one time next time you see me.

Eric J. Smith

MDrndrgr. I began a thread in the "Freelance" section called "Artistic" vs. "Technical". It was inspired by this thread, but I'm not addressing this specifically to you. I don't know you or your work, so there's no way I could address it to you. I'd still like to hear your perspective and everyone else's thoughts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.