The photog handbook is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currentchief

It's done!

After months of work and toil, I've finally finished the photographer handbook. It's been reviewed by the ND, ASD, EP, Chief Eng., and a few photogs. I could keep adding topics, but I have to stop sometime. So I did. I'll put out a volume II next year, if needed. I'm sure that within seconds of distribution, my photog will spot (and eagerly point out) all of my mistakes.

NOTE: I no longer consider it a stylebook. This is important as many people on this board have made the assumption that the book is chock full of nothing but how to shoot various stories or situations, style-wise.

Truth be told, less than a page (out of 20!) comes anywhere close to addressing style or techniques. Instead, the small section deals with expectations- that is, certain goals I expect my people to achieve in their quest for a better quality product. I expect clear lighting, steady shooting, crisp audio, etc. How that's achieved is up to the photog.

95% of the handbook deals with far more mundane issues like live truck maintenance, how to ask for vacation, filling out a time card, reporter/photog issues, etc. Zzzzz......

If you would like a copy, I'm sorry, but I need to limit distribution to chiefs or photo execs only as postage gets pretty expensive. If you want your own copy, you can get a copy from them. I also have to limit the number to 15 copies.

So, e-mail me with your name, title, company, address and newsroom phone number (NOT direct office number) so I can call to confirm your position, if I need to. If you feel this is too excessive for just a photog manual, then don't e-mail.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Randy Hansen
WINK-TV

shootcam

Randy, I would really like to get a copy of your manual. I am a WINK alumuns, from '81. I will call this week. Is Jim still anchoring, and Mike on the desk? Tell them the animal says hello. Ft. Myers rocks! (if you have the connections)...

SmlMktChief

Randy,
Thanks for the Photographers handbook. I got it yesterday, but haven't had time to look at it yet. I will soon and give you a reply on how it is. Thanks again, David

Currentchief

I have requests for 16 copies of the handbook and I can send out no more.

I still have to send out 7 or 8 and I will do that this week. So, those of you who have asked, please be patient!

Thanks for the interest.

yellowbeta

Shame, shame, shame...

I just got promoted to chief and found this post. Please keep me in mind when you make a updated copy :)

Thanks

Chris Swope
WSAW-TV

Chris Kittinger

Just out of curiosity, does it have any information regarding media laws for your state? I personally think that knowing where you can and can't go and what you can and can't do would be good information for your shooters. That way they will know when the Mall Security Guards give them grief.

Baltimore Shooter

Wow Randy, with all the work you did, you should charge for copies to CPs outside the station. Sort of a bible for all photogs...only $19.95!

BTW, your word processing program MAY be able to convert it to a PDF for you. I have WordPerfect v. 10 and I can instantly convert any document created in WordPerfect into a PDF.

Warren

Currentchief

Yeah...convert to PDF......Yeah....that would be nice.....

The IT guy took my computer and converted it for election use and *POOF!* no more documents. I have hard, paper copies of the handbook, but not a computer copy. :( :(

So, now I'm stuck with only paper versions of the handbook. I guess when I write Ver. 2.0 next year, I'll put it on my home computer and make it available on PDF for those who want it.

BTW, I asked everybody who got the handbook to send me a detailed critique and so far I've heard from exactly one person. If I sent you a copy, please e-mail me with the details of your response and opinion.

I didn't include much about privacy issues, right to shoot, etc. This is a primer for photogs new to my station NOT a textbook on everything a photog needs to know to do their job. It would be 100 pages long instead of 19.

Thanks,

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.