The Chief is Leaving!!

LesPaul

My chief photographer is leaving the station and I am going to be the only photog for at least a month or two. I am compiling a list of questions and ' what if ' scenarios that I want to ask him before he leaves. I have been a photog for about 9 months now and I love it but I'm still new to the industry.

What are some common question/problems that you as a photog run in to on a daily basis?

Here are some of the questions I will be asking him:

How do you transfer video straight from the cameras to the computers?

Where do I go to order:
-Camera/Tripod parts
-Batteries (9V, AA,) light bulbs, cables, ect.
-Burnable DVD’s
-Audio Supplies

How and why the Live Truck works?

Necktie Boy

All of those questions should be directed to the Engineering Department.

Depending on how the Chief is leaving(good or bad terms), if he hasn't trained you on the live truck, don't plan on him teaching you.

CAMERABUDDY

My chief photographer is leaving the station and I am going to be the only photog for at least a month or two. I am compiling a list of questions and ' what if ' scenarios that I want to ask him before he leaves. I have been a photog for about 9 months now and I love it but I'm still new to the industry.

What are some common question/problems that you as a photog run in to on a daily basis?

Here are some of the questions I will be asking him:

Where do I go to order:
-Camera/Tripod parts
-Burnable DVD’s
-Audio Supplies

Judging by the questions you're asking and that you will be the only photog at this station for the next few months, I strongly recommend you go to the nearest sports store ie: Outdoor World, Sports Authority, and buy the biggest paddle you can find as you're ass is up the creek...

grinner

Where do I go to order:
-Camera/Tripod parts
-Burnable DVD’s
-Audio Supplies

1. You should get a deck but you can call your camera a generic DVD device.
2. BandHphoto.com
3. depends on what ya need. Anywhere from BandH to Sam's
4. Your favorite disc outlet... or Sam's
5. I like Guitar Center.
6. I dunno. I didn't hook it up. Ask the engineer to give ya a walk through.

Rocktog

OK...all... I am the chief that is leaving. I am leaving on good terms just to make sure we are all straight. I think that Lespaul wanted your advice for real reasons. I am trying to give him all the advice that I can before I leave...and yes I have trained him on the live truck. First, if I didn't I wouldn't have done my job. Second, I would teach him before I left. Is there things that he should know before I leave?

Rocktog

I liked the paddle comment too by the way....honestly I have thought that would be the best advice for him too when I leave.

lucky13

Just as important as finding out 'where' to purchase supplies is exactly 'how' to go about it. Make sure you know if it's based on a P.O. system or otherwise and know how all that works. Also, if you would be responsible for vehicles to know all about that as well.

Definately look at this as an opportunity, if you plan to stick with news shooting in the future.

My $.02

Cornelio78

Good luck with being on your own. That really sucks. At my station i have no purchasing power at all. I can present to the GM and News director after researching what i want, but in the end, even if they approve the purchase, I myself do no do the purchasing.

I would say learn all the things about the editing system you are on. Any problems the leaving chief has had with equipment that may not have happened to you while you have been there. As well as just getting his input what to expect once he leaves. How the newsroom has gone up and down with different people.

I would say just worry about getting down all the photographer aspects and leave the chief stuff to the news director and engineer. In the end it is their responsibility. Good luck.

Tom Servo

Not to be too cynical, but be careful about filling the duties of a chief without actually being the chief. You don't want them figuring out that they now have a chief for the price of a staff photog.

Be a photog. Be a good photog. And if they want you to play chief, then apply for the job ;)

PhotoHawk

Not to be too cynical, but be careful about filling the duties of a chief without actually being the chief. You don't want them figuring out that they now have a chief for the price of a staff photog.

Be a photog. Be a good photog. And if they want you to play chief, then apply for the job ;)
I've found myself in the Cheif position with a photog salary for a couple months now...

I order equipment, maintain vehicles, train newbies, etc.... Our station is trying to be bought and is being SUPER cheap. Little chance for a raise or promotion because our current owners are just trying to get rid of us...

Also... I've already applied for the chief position and they said "we want to see if you can handle the responsibilities first." I've heard no complaints so far and a lot of my coworkers seem to already think I'm Chief.

Any advise on how to handle this?