SxS cards vs. QXD when will clients switch?

Starman

Okay,

So I own a couple Canon cameras and a couple Panasonic cameras.

I'm primarily using these, but sometimes rent an EX3/EX1 camera.

My Z1U is getting long in the tooth (stopped shooting on it for clients about 2 years ago) I just have it in my car all the time in case I want to grab some quick stock footage clips, and I don't care if it gets stolen, because it's so old.

Will the EX3 clients move on to large sensor with the FS7 but still maintain XDCAM codecs (to fit with post workflow), or will they want to stick to SxS cards and use cameras such as the PMW300/PXW200, PMW400 etc.?

I am asking because for now some clients come to me with their own SxS cards and then fly away with them, but the also said as long as it's editable in format, that I don't HAVE to shoot on their cards.

Just wondering where this trend will go, as I want to get a Sony camera in a few months or so.

Necktie Boy

Maybe not the best person to answer this question.....

As a client, I would try as long as I could to use my cards till I couldn't use them anymore. I would try to use shooters that had cameras that used SxS cards. I would wonder why an EX1/3.

As for workflow, most post houses should be able to work with the XAVC codec. Most should be using the current version of editing software, so XAVC shouldn't be a problem.

As a shooter, I would ask the client what their future plans are? Point out that some Sony cameras are not using SxS cards, but XQD cards. Tell them what camera you are thinking of buying and how it will fit in their workflow.

It would also depend how much work these clients with cards bring in. If these clients do bring plenty of works, and you are afraid of loosing them, going with a camera that uses SxS Cards is your solution.

The question is do you want to invest in a HD camera at this time?

Starman

Will the FS7 shoot XDCAM, 35 megabit 4:2:0? That is what is currently used by a lot of my clients.

svp

Everything I've shot in the last 6 months has been my choice of camera and codec as long as its 1920x1080 30p. They've all started sending me 256GB USB flash drives that I simply copy the cards to and overnight the footage. They tell me what they'll be editing on and have told me just send the footage in a format/codec that will work in their systems. That's been a big change this past year (no more renting specific cameras). For clients who fly in for the shoots, I copy the footage on site and they take off with the flash drive. I keep a copy of the footage until they get it in their system and let me know everything is good to go, then I delete my copy of their footage. Pretty simple.

dhart

I just shot for a out of town client on the FS7. Purchased a Thunderbolt drive for the project and downloaded a day of shooting in under 15 minutes.

Douglas

Yeah, the speeds are amazing these days even via USB3.0
I can offload a full 128GB SxS card to three different hard drives in about 26 minutes. And I can offload a 512GB AXS card to three drives in about 65 minutes.

I remember back in 2007 when I first started shooting on SxS that I was thrilled if I could offload a 8GB card in 20 minutes. Times change!

Starman

Okay...interesting, it says MPEG-2 4:2:2 long GOP, would this pop up as "XDCAM" in that file wrapper though?? Just curious. Worst case scenario if I bought this camera, I have a Nano Flash that will record 35 megabit 4:2:0, if a client really wanted the lower bitrate, I could provide it in that fashion.

Douglas

Yes. Sony calls XDCAM "MPEG" on the big sensor cameras. But it is 50Mbps 8-bit 4:2:2 -- the camera cannot do the older 35Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 internally. Hard to believe anyone still wants that, but yeah, you have to give the client what they want if you can't talk some sense into them. All of the productions and clients I work with don't even want any flavor of XDCAM. High-end people have moved onto 10-bit XAVC and pretty much all of Sony's latest cameras can shoot XAVC. 35Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 is looking a little dated now. I'm going to have to change the license plate on my Mini from XDCAM to XAVC!

Starman

Doug, quick question, I know the FS7 3.0 firmware upgrade has the "center punch" feature for using S16mm lenses on it. Would this work with 2/3 B4 mount lenses as well without engaging the doubler? Would be nice to be able to use 2/3 lenses without using the wide of the lens.

Douglas

My advice, but others may disagree, forget about 2/3" lenses on the big sensor cameras. It is a bastardization that should be avoided. If that's the style of lens you need, then buy a 2/3" camera. Why buy a Ferrari and then haul gravel with it? Get the right tool for the job and you'll be happier in the long run and do a better job as well.