survey: linear vs. non-linear (duplicated from general)

Hello--I posted this in the general thread, but thought editors could chime in to this as well...

I am now teaching broadcast journalism (formerly a Chief Photog) at the University level and would like to take an informal survey regarding linear vs. non-linear.

We are teaching tape to tape editng in the novice class and AVID in the advanced broadcast class.

We are trying to figure out how much longer to teach tape to tape and I am curious to know what stations are still using linear at least in some form. If you are using non-linear, tell me what software you are using (AVID, FCP, etc.). I know that even those stations who are now non-linear, some are still editing cuts only in the live trucks. I feel that the students should have linear editing experience in some fashion for a while, but I am trying to figure out
to what extent.

Thanks to all in advance...

BG

way kool productions

Teachernow,
I applaud you for teaching tape to tape editing. It is a lost art. Non Linear editing has made us all, lazy editor. There is now planning like in tape to tape. with non linear we say "lets put some nat sound here or there" if the story seams slow....Any way, I would have my interns learn tape to tape also, now we are all tapeless, and the interns already know non linear editing via FCP.....

Keep up the great work, and lets not forget the lost "ART" of TAPE to TAPE editing

rocky1138

and lets not forget the lost "ART" of TAPE to TAPE editing
editing a 16mm or 35mm film w/ a razor blade & tape should be a lost art, but is still being taught ALL over for the stupidest of reasons. if you're going into film the only reason you'll "edit" like that is if you're in film school, a negative cutter, or a projectionist.

"Tape to Tape" is far far far from being dead. if you plan on working in TV (not video, TV) you have to know tape to tape. I have yet to work at a station that doesn't still have a number of linear step ups.

I love NLEs, I think they are great, but I'd rather depend on two Beta decks in a microwave truck than any OS when I'm in a pinch & need the package done 10min ago.

I know in 2001 CSUN (which claimed to be the #1 film school in all of time. I guess they hadn't heard of USC or UCLA?) didn't let their film editor majors touch NLEs. you had to be a video major to do that. advanced cinema editing was all flatbed.

stupid as all hell. so is trying to say an XL1 will prep you for shooting w/ a real ENG camera. (a JVC X2B shoots crappy S-VHS, but at least it has all the right buttons & nobs in the same place as a XD or P2 camera, and is less than a GL1)

teaching tape to tape is a MUST, so is teaching Avid, or FCP, or whatever... the biggest thing is knowing the theory & knowing how to learn the next new thing (there will be many in the future).

sorry for the little rant, but one day I'd like to see an intern who hasn't had all hands on prosumer miniDV experience & think they're ready for national news. most professional cameras weight more than 6lbs, and you don't get to replace nats w/ music from your ipod b/c it is a really cool song

star wipe

Keep teaching tape to tape. While all in house editing is done on Avid and the live trucks are going Avid soon, we still do basic tape to tape for maintaining tape archives. For the next five years or so your students will probably encounter tape editing in one form or another at some station. It's a great skill to have.

I can't tell you how many interns have come through our station and couldn't work becuase they didn't know how to edit tape to tape. They spent thier internship learning the technical skills of tape editing more than learning the finer points of storytelling.

Chicago Dog

Don't forget, however, that there are also a few systems in-place which combine linear and non-linear.

That is, stories are shot to tape, but the tapes are used with a non-linear system instead of P2 cards and clips. Grass Valley's Vibrint (I think it's got another name now) is a great example. Quite a few lower-market stations are using it as a cheaper solution for quasi "non-linear" editing.
:)