Storing daily tapes

SmlMktChief

I'm sure this has been discused before, but I don't know where.

My question...what kind of system do y'all use to keep tapes (raw tapes) for 24 hours, just in case the story gets lost in the system?

I have thought of bookshelfs, cabinets, etc. What is the most usefull system, so the photogs won't take their tapes that they shot on that day?

And where is the best place to put this system? In the edit bay? With the assignment editor? With the ND?

I was told to just get a box, but I don't think that will work.
Any advice will help. Thanks.

Imachief

We use book shelves. I got a tall unit, 1 shelf for each day of the week. We labeled each shelf w/ a specific day. All the raw tapes go on the shelves for that day. They stay there for a week, then the tapes are recycled back to the photojournalists.

So every Monday, I recycle the Monday tapes back to my guys. Tuesday, more of the same, and so on.

I also have my guys mark their field tapes w/ their names. Tapes are also labeled eveyday with the story assignment & date.

It can be a pain in the butt, but it does work well for us here.

Imachief

Oh yeah... we keep the book shelves & raw field tapes in an area between the assignment desk & edit bays. Common ground, in you will.

SmlMktChief

Thanks Imachief,
That helps with some ideas I already had.
I haven't decided if I need to do a whole week, but it might not be a bad idea. Usually, anything that might be needed beyond a couple of days goes on a permenant photog save tape.