Stick mic troubles

JTFCM

I'm currently using RE-50 mics, they're good, I like them, the trouble is that we switch from the wireless cubes to cables so much the aluminum locking tab is wearing out faster than the elements. It even seems that the materials Electro-Voice is using are getting softer. Life expectancy is around 2 years.

So I'm looking for a replacement mic in the same price range (roughly $150-175) that people are having success with. Any ideas?

Necktie Boy

The aluminum locking tab? Isn't that part on the cube? Also you don't mention who the maker of the cube is. Saying that, I did read somewhere that Sennheiser cubes are tough on mics. It seems that they damage the mic.

Not sure it's just 2 years, but we have the same issues with the Lectro cubes. I am constantly telling talent to hold the mic, not the cube. All of that weight hanging off of the connector wears it out quickly.

Necktie Boy

Strange? Tons and Tons of crews use Lectro cubes without any problems. Off hand, I can only think that the person(s) removing the mic isn't twisting the collar to release the mic from the XLR. I can see that incorrectly removing the mic could cause the mic's XLR to go bad.

And I really don't see any problem holding the cube insteal of the mic. I would think that holding by the cube would be better in the long run since the weight of the cube isn't stressing the mic's XLR.

Chicago Dog

I am constantly telling talent to hold the mic, not the cube. All of that weight hanging off of the connector wears it out quickly.
I think that's the answer to your question. I've seen mics unexpectedly cut out because of this exact problem. Unfortunately, the cut-out happens during an important interview or a live shot, not during a mic test.

If it's a matter of reach, you might want to consider handing out a couple mic booms. There's nothing more frustrating than constantly repairing the same piece of equipment over and over again.

Do you have repeat offenders? Time to lay down the law.

newz

Me too!

Of course my Lectrosonic cube is 14 years old. Maybe it's the newer (1 year) RE50 I use. Anyone else?

JTFCM

Sorry guys, to be clear, half my crew are using RE-50's with the Sennheiser cubes. Those are the mics that are wearing out. The Lectro's are fine. And you're right about the time frame too, I checked, it's been 3 1/2 years.

The aluminum "ring" on the mic is what's wearing out...and it's all the photogs with the Sennheiser cubes. Not just one or two.

Chicago Dog

The aluminum "ring" on the mic is what's wearing out...and it's all the photogs with the Sennheiser cubes. Not just one or two.
I'm not entirely clear what you mean when you say "ring." Are you referring to the cylinder on the mic that the cube plugs into?

Necktie Boy

Steve,

I was on the right trail....Now if I could remember where I read about the Sennheiser cube problem. It's not the mic, it's the cube doing the damage. A simple solution would be to find a short male XLR to female XLR barrel. Keep the barrel on the cube.

focusthis

hold the mic

x2 for not holding the cube. After a year, the 3 internal pins/connections start getting jammed further into the cube. Since I don't swap wired/wireless but maybe 1 day out of 5, I suspect it's from being held by the cube.

As for reach, I'm sure is a personal space issue with reporters not wanting their hand any closer to a mouth than need be.

panhead

RE50?

If you are looking to change mics--I would suggest you look at Shure's SM58--IMHO they are bulletproof-they are still the workhorse of the touring(music)industry. They have been around forever--and take a beating-http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-vocal-microphone