Sound Devices PIX 240i or PIX E-Series

Jibcam

Has anyone else ended up with corrupted 422 files on their recorders after the unit shut down during capture as a result of a power interruption while running either off of camera DC or even AC power?
The files will playback correctly from either SSD or CF media in the recorders but when you try to ingest them into a system Quicktime is unable to open them.
VLC rarely is able to play and then convert them to 422.
I've already heard from two other users where this has happened, just wondering if this a common problem that has compromised anyone elses shoots?

Thanks;
Michael Mulvey, SOC

Necktie Boy

It does sound strange? Have you contacted Sound Devices and see what they say? They have very good customer service.

Run&Gun

Hopefully you were rolling in-camera. I do not trust external recorders. Too much to go wrong. Just had to break out my old nanoFlash last week, because producer wanted "ProRes"(.MOV) from the C300. I look over at the recorder during the last interview and no red light next to the card and a lost signal warning on the screen. So while we were striking and dumping the second cam, I had to playback the in-camera recording in real time to the recorder. Thank goodness it wasn't an epic hour plus interview, but still an unneccesary extra step at the end of the day.

Jibcam

I did in fact contact Sound Devices Customer Support and they themselves are just now discovering that that is the outcome when there is a power loss. Nowhere in their documentation is there a mention of this problem. I suspect mainly because they just discovered it this past Friday when I presented it to them.