Sony Xdcam tool

Chismoso

Hi !

This might be kinda complicated guys / gals ( to me it is ).
when yht "proxies"are imported into FCP using the tool :

(a) Are they stored on the computer's hard drive or the external drive . . if one is connected .

(b) I had about thirty (30) clips and they all srarted importing the minute I opened up the tool, is there a way where I do not have to import all the clips all at once ?

(c) What do I do with the " proxies" after I have impoted all the clips that I need ?

Any other advice that you can give or if there are any other websites that you can direct me to concerning this situation will be greatly appreciated .

Thank you very much.

Canonman

Hi !

This might be kinda complicated guys / gals ( to me it is ).
when yht "proxies"are imported into FCP using the tool :

(a) Are they stored on the computer's hard drive or the external drive . . if one is connected .

(b) I had about thirty (30) clips and they all srarted importing the minute I opened up the tool, is there a way where I do not have to import all the clips all at once ?

(c) What do I do with the " proxies" after I have impoted all the clips that I need ?

Any other advice that you can give or if there are any other websites that you can direct me to concerning this situation will be greatly appreciated .
Answer to A: The default location is ~/library/Application Support/Sony XDCAM Transfer/ folder on the system drive (where ~ represents the user account name). You can change the location in the Preferences of the XDCAM Transfer application. Don't go in there and delete thumbnails or proxies. You'll screw up the database. Do all that through the transfer tool(see answer to C below).

Answer to B: Again, you can change that behavior in the preferences. De-select 'Automatically Add Discs' in the General Tab.

Answer to C: You could clear them. There is an option to do that in the transfer application (select a disc id in the left pane, then use the remove button at the bottom). They don't take up much space so I just leave them. This allows you to do mark in/out and set up a batch import list without the camera or deck being physically attached after they're imported. It's only when you need to import the full resolution material that you would need the camera/deck connected.

cm

Canonman

Thank you very much Canonman ! ! !
No problem. I should add however, that FCP does not support editing of the proxy files. You see the proxy file in the transfer tool and then it imports the full res material that you select.

However....you can elect to export the proxy file from within the transfer tool and it will create an MPEG4 file for you. This is handy for sending the files over broadband.

Avid NLE does support proxy file editing as does Sony Vegas. Was hoping the new FCS2 would allow proxy editing, but apparently it does not.

cm

Dedline

edius

According to Grass Valley, the new version Edius NLE will edit XDCAM proxies in realtime, and you can bring in the full rez in the background.

Back when XDCAM first came out, I remember Sony promising this low rez editing, though none of the NLE's could do it yet. Guess it came around finally.