Sony FS-7 or the Canon 300 Mark II

newsshooter

I just received my B&H email that says Canon has their new C-300 hitting the streets. It's 5,000 more then the Sony FS-7. I've had great success with my Sony Ex-1. I want a camera I can do higher end corporate video and some news shooting with. The FS-7 with their zoom lens looks like a normal ENG camera. for 10,500. The 300 can't be that much better then the FS-7 and the 300 wouldn't be a great ENG camera. I shoot with the C-100 now and it would be impossible or a bit more difficult to gather news with it.

Run&Gun

Just received the same email a little while ago. YAWN. Same body I hate with 4K. The originals are worthless on the used market, now, after the crazy price drop the other week. No reason to sell it for a few $K when I can make more money continuing to rent it out and shoot with it myself. I'll continue to ride my C300 while it's still in-demand and probably get an (used)F55 I have a line on.

EDIT:

OK, just found a video from Canon and maybe I was a little hasty with my comments(the B&H email didn't have all the details that the video has). The body and lack of IN's & OUT's still disappoint me, but after watching the video, now I'm liking the improvements they've made.

Last edited:

Starman

I agree, C300 MK1 still a good option. I rent the C300 MK1 on a regular basis, I will probably buy one due to the price drop. It will still be a relevant camera for another 2-3 years. And at that price point, it makes sense to buy rather than the hassle of renting. I also already have all Canon glass and support gear.

I may look at the Sony F5 or something high end in the future though. Don't the F5 and F55 have a crop feature where you can center punch and use 2/3 inch glass?

marstaton4

I may look at the Sony F5 or something high end in the future though. Don't the F5 and F55 have a crop feature where you can center punch and use 2/3 inch glass?
There are some "dumb" adapters that allow you to use B4 lenses on the FS7 as well. If I'm not mistaken you have to use a lens with a built in extender and engage it to project an image big enough to cover the sensor. Sounds like you also lose about 4 stops with it from what I've read. Then you have to power the lens if you want to use the servo, which you can do with a adapter cable that plugs into p-tap.

Run&Gun

There are some "dumb" adapters that allow you to use B4 lenses on the FS7 as well. If I'm not mistaken you have to use a lens with a built in extender and engage it to project an image big enough to cover the sensor. Sounds like you also lose about 4 stops with it from what I've read. Then you have to power the lens if you want to use the servo, which you can do with a adapter cable that plugs into p-tap.
With the IBE adapter that has all of the optical elements for the correction(2/3" to s35, no built-in 2x required), I believe it's 2.6 stops. There is one for the 5/55 that works with the center crop mode that only costs you, I believe, 1 stop. I don't know if it works with the 7.

Necktie Boy

Don't forget the new XF-AVC Codec. NLE will require a new codec to edit the footage.

Also, I did come across a dumb 2/3 adapter for E-mount cameras. Less than $100 bucks on ebay.

Starman

Yes, but question remains, will the FS7 center crop so you can use a dumb adapter? Other option is a $6,000 magnifying adapter for the C300, but that is expensive

Necktie Boy

AFAK No center crop. So you need a lens with a doubler to cover the sensor.

You can't have everything for $8500 bucks.

Douglas

Oh yes you can, Sony has already announced that the FS7 will get center crop after a future firmware update.

marstaton4

Oh yes you can, Sony has already announced that the FS7 will get center crop after a future firmware update.
Excellent news! Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what are people using these days for lens supports on a rod system. It sounds like the general consensus is that the E-mount is a bit "fragile." I typically use SLR glass but would love to throw a B4 or 200mm lens on and not have to be as concerned about it.

dhart

Checked with my crew booking agency the other day. He said a lot of DPs were buying the FS-7 but the demand was still mainly for the C-300. Remains to be seen if the FS-7 prevails at least in crew booking situations.

Douglas

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what are people using these days for lens supports on a rod system. It sounds like the general consensus is that the E-mount is a bit "fragile." I typically use SLR glass but would love to throw a B4 or 200mm lens on and not have to be as concerned about it.

I've used this one from Shape for a few years.
It's cheap, it's easy to adjust or remove completely, and it works with every lens I own.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=750896&gclid=CP3Xw7aA7MQCFcVi7AodizwAsA&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Necktie Boy

Douglas,

That is good news that the FS7 will get a center crop! Thanks for jumping in and clearing that up.

But when?

Douglas

Douglas,

That is good news that the FS7 will get a center crop! Thanks for jumping in and clearing that up.
But when?
With firmware version 3.0 sometime during 2015. I don't think Sony has been more specific than that. My feeling is that it might come in June for Cine Gear, but I could be wrong.