Some of my latest stuff.

Hey guys... I know it's been a month (too long) since my last post.

I really feel for the critique section, since it seems like Facebook's "Storytellers" group has really taken over.

I normally wasn't planning to post these stories, but since it's been so long (and, I've been at a creative slump).. I'll say here goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUijNF7WLek&list=UU3T9KgxZiEMfSBmPPXhx13Q&index=1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgppzs05D4&list=UU3T9KgxZiEMfSBmPPXhx13Q&index=4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWgxTGVLR64&list=UU3T9KgxZiEMfSBmPPXhx13Q&index=9&feature=plcp

Keep in mind... I dont think these were as vibrint as the Pancake Festival.. I just want to post and keep it going!

Latin Lens

Folklorico natpkg-Not a bad effort. I can tell you're using some influence that you've received via critiques and that's good keep that up. The story in this piece really lacked a "why" for me...why are they doing this? So a little more newsy information would have really benefited. Remember variation in your interviews...keep changing. Also to help with some salt and pepper (natsots to sprinkle throughout)...wait for a moment to strike. Here's what I mean...kids are dancing and they make it to the end so everyone stops...thats when you are rolling and go up to one of them and go "How was that?" or more leading question "You're really working up a sweat."...and get the quick reaction that hopefully when crafting the story you can use these because you'll do this multiple times with multiple different people til you get the right ones to help your story. Anyone in that room you can do this too...this is the spice to add and that's how you get it. Use leading questions when you get an oppurtunity and this will get you little sots to use and add the extra variation you need. You still need to work on utilitzing the entire space and you were in a theater so lots of b-roll variation is possible. Closing shot and ending are still weak so keep working on finding the best closing shot.

Standups-nice to see you attempting these. Very nice. A few pointers though...remember jsut like in the movies you have to maintain continuity from edit to edit which means you need to have props pretty much in the same place or have finished an action before an edit occurs. Like in the 80% standup...you show her finishing to write 80% so you say "stop"...move and she turns to camera with it already done...you had her still writing when we just saw her stop...watch out for those sort of things. They look weird. Same thing with the spray can stand up...she has it in her hand one minute and not the next. Continuity.

Last edited:
Hey thanks man!

Let me know whenever you have time to check out a couple of the other ones.

For Viva Aztlan, I had the hardest time getting it all to flow. Maybe, I was trying too much at once.....

Andrew

Latin Lens

Garza Theater-I found this story rather interesting because I love historical type stories...with that said you did okay. I think the structure was way off...had the reporter structured the story differently this could have had much better impact. You could have started with local businesses feeling an impact economically from something...or passersby commenting on the "loss" of such a historical landmark...you keep it ambiguous because then you do an early reveal as to the "why"....because a great/popular theater had to close its doors...the news stuff will come in about the structure itself...and so on and so on. As you gain experience Andrew you're gonna have to recognize some moments like this to help younger reporters find their way. I am not saying the way it stands now is wrong but there's a better way and a better structure to have greater impact. I think you did yourself a slight disservice by using the file video...seeing a rundown, empty stage would have been again more impactful...what once was here with the proper shooting is more dramatic and emotionally connecting. You then tie it off with local shop owners going forward without the theater with a nice wide shot of the block to close it off to let us wonder what is going to happen to this small block of street in the coming future...its impact without cheesyness but you have to explore, you have to disscuss, and you have to plan together to formulate ideas out in the field to get the best possible story on the air. Nice solid effort.

Last edited:
Thanks!

We had some limits about getting in to the theatre.

Given that they wouldn't let us in, we had to find other ways to make it work..

That being, as many tight shots as possible.

I wonder if it would help if I posted stories, ALONG with the order of what we did.. For instance on Garza Theatre, we:

1. Dug up a story I shot back in Dec '09.
2. Went to City Hall to interview Mayor.
3. Drove two blocks down to theatre, where I sprayed it. Tight and Wide shots.
4. Shot standups, cold opens, web updates, etc...
5. Sprayed theatre some more. Walked to the next block for shot variety.
6. Caught up with the owner of "Plum Crazy," interviewed her.
7. Got final shots of Garza
8. Went to McDonalds before heading home...

That said, you guys may get an X-Ray of what I did... Feedback in that regard would help to!

For Viva Aztlan,

1. Went up to Civic Center balcony for opening shot.
2. Shot and shot and shot of people on stage dancing. Wanted to do wireless, but decided to let it go.
3. Shot some more on stage.
4. Shot in the back room.... Thought I may want an opening sequence, but that didn't quite work out.
5. Shot some more, moved around a bit through the audience.
6. Went and asked coordinator if they were soon to break. They were.
7. Got interview with guest Folklorico instructor, a group from Edinburg that had experience. Turned around and got one from Austin High that was there for their first time.
8. Went back to edit. Hit a snag, so I used an interview from two days before.
9. Wanted to take an excedrin afterwards, and still do.

Latin Lens

I appreciate the insight to how you scheduled your shooting...but take it a step further because I want more. Add in the drive to location...what did you talk about to your reporter? When you were shooting...what was your reporter doing? They should be laying some groundwork to get intvs. If you had the disscussion on the way in the car...he'd know who might or might not make a good intv. When you finished your b-roll shooting you disscuss the options of intvs. and take it from there. Why interview the mayor? I say this because this is how stories begin to feel cold by adding officials. He's unneccessary...you want regular people who are affected rather than talking heads trying to look good. You could have saved time if it was for this story that you did the mayor interview. Skip it and get more shooting on scene in. Official intvs are like dissolves to young shooters...they are a cructh. 99.9% of the time they are worthless. How long are each step approximately...here's where time management comes into play. Why spend 15-20 mins digging up old file tape when you can be out shooting? If you didn't have the file tape as a crutch...what would you have done to get by? Thats how you pretend the scenario to be. If each pkg you shoot cannot contain file video of any kind how would you get around that? How would your reporter write to that? These are disscussions you need to be having with your partner for the day. Talk, talk, and then talk some more. Bounce ideas...and then talk some more.