sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewChief

Has anyone ever been working at a TV station when it is being sold? What is the process - who gets the boot first? Have you heard anything about WPDE in Myrtle Beach being for sale or being bought? Just wondering...

SmlMktChief

I am currently working at a station that was sold 4 years ago. The new owner is a local businessman who owns nost of the property in this area. The only thing that was noticable was that the GM was "fired", and a company man was put in his place. This was the first TV station that he has bought, and none of the new management knew JACK#%&* about running a TV station. The best thing to happen was he moved us to the mall that he owns and built us a brand new station with brand new equipment. All in all a pretty good owner and bosses.

Imachief

When my previous station was sold, it didn't affect us "worker bees". It did affect top management. The GM was removed, as was the ND. It was only after the positions were filled with "company" folks, that the rank & file noticed any differences.

I saw all kinds of changes. In the 14 plus years I was there I had 9 ND's, 5 GM's and 3 owners. I managed to survive.

Some changes were for the better, some were...well, you get my drift.

The important thing is to just do your job. Try to do it well. Everyday. Make a good impression on the new bosses, but don't suck up to anyone, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Unless you are on air talent.

Don't worry about things you have no control over. Its the fastest way to an ulcer. Just remember, its always a good idea to have a current resume tape. Just in case. Good luck to you.

NewChief

Thanks Imachief. I am going to be getting a tape together...because, like you say- you never know. It is a bit hard not to worry though. I like it here - at least for the next couple years...

konman

I' ve survived 3 or 4 ownership changes and 2 or 3 rounds of layoffs at my station. For a couple of years we had a ND (an ousider, who was "paying his dues" here) who really hated me. But I am still here because
-- I am the best shooter here!
-- I can and do fix things. When our live truck fails in the field, if I cannot find an immediate fix, nobody can.
-- I am ahead of everybody in the newsroom in learning new technologies, like currently I am the only one who knows how to use our NLE.

New owners, I have noticed, replace only upper management.
Good luck to you!

[ January 27, 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: konman ]

Lensmith

I too survived a handful of station sales. Here's what I remember.

The old owner shuts off the money tap before the sale is complete. No new hires. No new equipment unless it's already in the pipeline. and even if it is in the pipeline, it may get canceled.

The new owner will clean upper management first, but more importantly, each and every employee currently on staff has to reprove themselves to the new owners. No one is safe. You may be the best but you better show off those skills and not assume everyone already knows.

Even after the sale is finalized and the new folks come in to take charge, the money tap will still be closed for about a year. Raises, new hires, new gear all get reevaluated by a whole new set of eyes and ideas.

Bottom line, be ready for some lean times. Do your job. Do it well. Make sure your tape is up to date. You never know if your way of doing things is going to mesh with the future plans by new owners. Do everything you can to keep your own options open.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.