Should I leak the info?

I'm a chief in a very small market and I found out we "may" be going the vj route. Should I say something to my 5 photographers with the risk of maybe not going this route & screwing myself out of 5 great photogs, or not say anything & hope and pray nothing happens? I'm afraid if I say smoething, the bosses will find out & I could be in a world of hurt, but at the same time I don't want to lose any of them.
If anyone has any ideas or has been in thie situation before, please message me, pm me, anything. I need advice on how I should handle this. Again nothing has been confirmed, just something I've heard through the grapevine thats been 60-70% reliable in the past.

I wouldn't say anything, nothing is worse than a "sinking ship". Everyone is going to be looking for the exits. I would however let your guys know they need to do their best work on every story no matter how crappy the assignment.

Don't say, your job may depend on it, or anything like that, but put the word out that guys need to do their best work and have a tight photog shop.

Also may be a good time to polish up your resume and tapes as well.

natspop

I would say go with your gut instincts. You know your people, you know your situation, and you know what is right for YOU. We don't. I usually side with the people who do the most and get the least recognition for the hard work they do. But your situation has characteristics and variables none of the rest of us know. Go with your gut.

John M.

exassignedphotog said:
Don't say, your job may depend on it, or anything like that, but put the word out that guys need to do their best work and have a tight photog shop.
Their jobs will depend nothing on their performance; they will depend completely on the bottom line.

To the original poster: The point at which you're making your own "escape tape" is when you should tell your guys that they should be making theirs.

A Step Above Productions

leak it

Here is what I would do… Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to know if your job was in jeopardy? Some of your Photogs may want to become a VJ, and this gives them some time to make that decision. It also gives them time to start getting a tape together and to begin the job-hunting process. It is much easier to find a job when you have one.

Just be honest with them, tell them exactly what you know – that this may or may not happen you just don’t want them to be let go with out proper notice.

It is all about respect, just be careful – you don’t want to put yourself in harms way. But as a Chief you have to put your Photogs first – that what separates a great Chief from just a Chief.

jajack71

You do know this is the World Wide Web. If any of the photog's or management are on this site guess what the cat is out of the bag.

sneakybastard

Being in a small market as most of us have started, more than likely if they are as good as you say, they are already looking to better their career and salary.
As a manager, you have a responsibility to keep management matters to yourself until a formal announcement is made. You can definitely drop the subliminal hints, "Hey, new job posting on b-roll.net, I'll give a good reference" but to save your own job, I'd say keep your mouth shut and let the ND or GM take the responsibility of the formal funeral.
I've seen a couple photogs turn reporters/one man band (I hate the VJ term) and be successful, and they are few and far between, but its much easier to teach a photog to report than teach a reporter to shoot good, airable, sequenced, storytelling video.