school zone meyhem

photoguy603

So I'm not really posting this as a "critique" but more looking for some opinion and advice. We had a good character, a real firecracker I threw the lav on her and got some decent sound while she was working. Here's my issue. I didn't actually shoot the interview with her, another photog did, no complaints there. I got all my needed b-roll etc. By the time we got to writing, editing etc we were up against the wall. We had a few equipment issues that put us up against the wall and then had to shoot a looklive because as you can see the sky behind my reporter we had nasty storms roll in. All in all I had about 15 minutes to edit.

The beginning turned out well but it got to a point with shooting the looklive etc the second half basically had to be quick wallpaper because of the time crunch.

I learned to edit tape to tape so I still assemble pkgs the same way, lay the track and sots and then go cover and sprinkle in nats as I go thanks to NLE, I can obviously insert more as I cover the pkg or switch them around.

Anyway I guess what I'm looking for even though I've been doing this a while if anyone has any advice on how they edit under a time crunch I'd be happy to hear any tips. Always looking to grow in the craft everyday.

Thanks!

http://bit.ly/19OtJj5

cyndygreen1

I learned to edit tape to tape so I still assemble pkgs the same way, lay the track and sots and then go cover and sprinkle in nats as I go thanks to NLE, I can obviously insert more as I cover the pkg or switch them around.

Anyway I guess what I'm looking for even though I've been doing this a while if anyone has any advice on how they edit under a time crunch I'd be happy to hear any tips. Always looking to grow in the craft everyday.
http://bit.ly/19OtJj5
There are a couple of theories for editing.
One is to edit both audio and video as you go so you can send something that looks/sounds good when you hit deadline....but it may not be finished.
The other is to jam down all audio and then edit as much video as you can...then start dump editing...laying down long shots just to get it covered.
I prefer the latter...not exactly elegant but gets it done and on air, especially when content is critical.

Latin Lens

My 2 cents

So...editing during a time crunch is basically an excercise in speed....which is evident that you can handle. I think you need to find what system works best for you because you need to find something that works for you in that situation. Here's what I do when I knowingly get into this situation. I keep a log in my head of good nat sound to sprinkle...that way if I can suggest a line in the middle and/or end that helps the reporter use it...I won't have to just wallpaper the end. Sometimes its unavoidable...just roll with the punches. It seems you're employing a good work smarter not harder method so keep it up.