Rotating Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewink

Are you talking about a police type light?

If so, and if it's for your car, you can try truck stops (they usually sell amber lights) or Galls website.

If seen them in Spencer Gifts, but they are usually the kind that you plug into an outlet (2 prong) as opposed to a cigarette lighter.

Make sure you check the laws as well to keep yourself in compliance with what color and combination you are allowed to have, and which direction (rear or forward facing) they can go. I think in states like Wisconsin and Minnesota you have have REAR FACING red lights... I know I have seen tow trucks with them.

Now, if you weren't talking about this kind of rotating light, ignore this post! :)

str8shooter13

Most likely you can use an amber light as a "caution" or "warning" light -- anything else is probably not legal for a personal vehicle or news car. Here in NY state emergency vehicles get red & white lights, volunteer fire gets blue lights, and volunteer EMS gets green lights. Gall's is probably the best place to get one -- it's where I have bought my green one for EMS, and most lights are available with an amber lens.

I used to have an amber light in my S-10 Blazer at work. It gave me just a little piece of mind knowing that my vehicle was obnoxiously marked as an obstacle when I was running around shooting an accident from the edge of the freeway nearby. Unfortunately my bosses decided that there were liability issues, and I had to get rid of it. After all, the TV station would obviously be at fault if some idiot managed to plow into my carefully parked news vehicle displaying a bright "don't hit me" amber light -- as opposed to our limited potential liability if the same idiot hits my dark car parked poorly on the side of the road at night. I will never figure out why "common sense" is anything but common, especially in TV news.

Personally, I think that all LIVE trucks should have an amber "ArrowStik" traffic director lightbar (or at least a couple of flashing amber lights) on the tail end, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a couple of big orange cones to throw behind the truck, as well. It works for power company, cable company, phone company, and other trucks parked in bad locations -- why shouldn't we be a bit safer, too ?

Terry E. Toller

try http://jcwhitney.com they sell such things for about $20.

Better yet, to to pep boys or some major car parts store and buy some strobes. They make some self contained units and the ones I have are bare strobe tubes. You drill a 1/4 inch hole in the back of the tail light housing and slip the strobe in. Glue the power unit to the back of the housing and hook it up to 12 volts. I put mine in the backup lights so they are white. I didn't want to get accused of trying to impersonate a cop...

Newshutr

I got mine at an Advance Autoparts. Paid 19.95 for it. Its Amber and I only use it on highway shoots.

Air_7

Now are these as bright as the ones that you get from Galls ????? I bet there not as bright but a hell of alot cheaper...

I have a dual strobe with amber and clear and I use it as a forward facing to go down the shoulder or when I come up to a road block so the coppers to yell at you when you drive up to the barricade of fires or a T/C

I'm also a photographer for the fire dept but I will say that this is not legal but I have never had a problem but then again most of the time I'm dealing with CHP that I know or on a brush fire...Who Really Cares .....

Terry E. Toller

The ones you get at RS or from an auto parts store uses an automotive bulb like the ones in your turn signals. It doesn't move. the reflector rotates around the bulb. It is more of a flashing light than a rotating light. Not bright but noticable.

The strobes I have mounted in my backup lights are probably illegal but so far, no problems. they are great in the fog!

ewink

You want bright, and you have some extra cash, get the LED lights...

B-R-I-G-H-T!

RichVid

Don't forget ebay also...there are some really good Whelen Strobes out there for around $60 also with dual lenses (Amber/Clear work very well)... I really do reccomend the strobes for maximum flash power and visibility... They kick a$$ compared to ANYTHING you're going to find out RS or an automotive store...

Rich

I have a Whelan amber strobe, magnetic w/ cig. lighter adapter. I bought it locally from an outfit called Safety League ...

www.safetyleague.com

They specialize in gear for first responders. You can order from them online, I believe. Nice folks too!

I forget what I paid ... $70 to $80?

Having this in my Jeep is great for those treacherous shoots along the highway ... just a little peace 'o mind, and it never hurts to CYA!

Always be safe!

Peace.

RichVid

Here in CA, everyone lives on the freeway... I know when I'm busting a nut trying to get to a big get-together on one of our concrete monstrosities, I try to take the shoulder and mount a dash light strobe, forward-facing, to try and let the gang know I'm coming...I've had a flasher I bought from Galls like 10 years ago that seems to be getting loose wires somewhere - SO, I just bought one of these over on Ebay - the seller seems to put one or two up every day...The thing works like a champ... I got mine for $31 which is really cheap...shipping was a little high but it was still way less than buying from a retailer, even on the web...

Status
Not open for further replies.