Robbery in DC.

wtv

Hi all,

Please note that there was a robbery at an international TV company in Washington DC yesterday.

A lot of gear was stolen including;

C300 and 2 Canon zooms.

PDW 700 and Fujinon HD wide lens

3 Fujinon HD lens

3 Fujinon SD lens

Schatler tripod

Some Go Pros

Arri 200w HMI

A bunch of sound gear including Lectrosonics.

Some Lite Panels

Some Bebob batteries

An IDX battery charger

……….. and some other bits of pieces.

Please be on the lookout.

Also does anyone know a central place to report stolen gear.

Thanks

zac love

Do you know what Canon zooms? I'm guessing some DSLR L series lenses? 24-70, 24-105, 70-200...?

Those can probably move quickly as there are a lot of still photographers out there, but it could also mean something that a lot more people can easily identify.

Douglas

Well have you seen the rest of the Macie website? It's just as outdated an clunky. The only thing missing is a guest book and animated gifs.

Run&Gun

I think the last post was from 2014... I posted there... In 2006.

Yeah, neither one are really from this decade, but it was the only site that popped into my head when wtv asked about someplace to post the loss.

Would be great if B-roll.net could pick up the slack and start a stolen gear forum or something. Free classified ads would be my other dream.

Tv Shooter

Would be great if B-roll.net could pick up the slack and start a stolen gear forum or something. Free classified ads would be my other dream.
Kevin's dream was to not lose money from creating, designing and maintaining B-roll. One of those ways was paid classified ads.

Even at it's height, there was very little money generated by B-roll. Kevin did it/does it as a labor of love. And yet, even as most all of this is free, on his time, someone wants even more for free.

List your gear on Ebay. It's not free. Sell it through a broker. Still not free. Sell it on Craig's List......and deal with a bunch of people asking you to take 15% of the asking price, and 90% of those are tire kickers at best.

So my suggestion is that YOU start a stolen gear list (free) and classified ad list (free) and then a year from that date, lets have a conversation about free.

Kevin has spent a lot of money out of pocket for this site. Yes there are a few banner ads, and they do not generate enough to money for the server space. Kevin does all the admin work, while maintaining a full time job, caring for his wife and child, and trying to have a life outside of television once in awhile.

Those B-roll parties in Vegas? Not a cent went into Kev's pocket.Figure in the time he spent arranging it, along with a couple other guys (Andy, Stewart) his wife, and it lost money. Companies came to help pay for the beer & food, gave a little product away, but had no interest in paying for ads. The audience is mostly guys that don't buy gear, they use whatever their employer provides. And funny-when the free food and drink Broll parties ended, the number of people showing up for "buy your own" suddenly dwindled, and fast.

This isn't intended to bust anyone's balls. But Kevin has spent an inordinate amount of time on this site, and honestly, I've no idea why at this point. Kevin has shown an incredible loyalty and spirit in building this site, and over the years, as Facebook, and other forums have developed, it's hard without a full time staff to keep one going. I have friends that do it full time and it is hard work.

B-roll started at the dawn of the Internet Age. Kevin was at the forefront of what has become an enormous tool for learning and communication, as well as an enormous time suck with cat videos and Kanye memes. As time as gone by, many websites have shut down due to lack of interest and most importantly-lack of revenue.

B-roll is Kevin's 1st child. I understand why he's reluctant to kill it, but I also don't understand why he still keeps it going. Since he does, I am very appreciative of it, and have in past bought a classified when selling something. Which BTW, sold to a Broll user.

I suggested to Kevin a few years ago, make it a paid membership. I offered to be the first to sign up, and that offer stands. Yet Kevin wants to keep it free to join and participate.

Wikipedia is currently engaged in a fund drive, much like the 23/6 efforts of PBS. Kevin has never done a Go Fund Me, pledge drive, or in anyway asked for people to just send money for this.....he just does it. For FREE. So asking for a 'free classifieds" or add a stolen gear list, you're asking Kevin to take time out of his life to do it. For free.

I've met a lot of great people here....Douglas, who has helped me immensely the last few years, with a great many things, Run n Gun, whom I now work with on a semi regular basis, and Nino, who I finally got to work with last week. NeckTie Boy, whom I've had breakfast once a year for several years, and Ken, one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and and incredible DP. And a lot more.

Most of all, Kevin. A guy that made all that happen, on his own time.... for free.

I'm sure I'll get some pissed off responses to this, but I don't care. But overtime I see someone here whining that the site is "dead" or "dying", why doesn't Broll do "this" or "that", I thought maybe it's time everyone knows why.

Gentlemen start your flaming. After all......it's "free".

Not sure my post was interpreted correctly Richard but it was not my intent to knock Kevin or his great site with my post. I genuinely just thought it would be helpful to have a stolen gear section of the forum, nothing more nothing less. My wish for a free classified was just that, a wish, not a knock on Kevin or his tireless work which we all appreciate very much. Anyway I apologize if I offended you or Kevin or anyone of the other great members of the site. I'll go back to lurking now, cheers.

Tv Shooter

No offense taken Chuck, it's more of a reality check. Kevin loses money on this endeavor and in my usual acerbic way, I felt that needed to be pointed out.

I know you appreciate the site and I would hope everyone does. But a person wiser than myself (Dave Straker Action News 10...On Your Side) once told me when I was bitching about a problem that "someone should do something about it"....his response was "don't tell me what someone else should do about it, tell me what YOU'RE doing about it".

Probably the best advice I ever got in life. That led me to doing a lot of animal rescue work, and other things in my neighborhood, because I decided to be that someone. Wish more people would think that way.

I missed the class on subtlety, ask Run n Gun. I did not mean to pick directly on you Chuck, so consider going to NAB this coming year and you'll get to drink on my tab.

Run&Gun

In Richards defense, I think that class was the same night as the Sony party in Vegas.

It's definitely easy to "misinterpret" people's statements and comments on the Internet. Especially people that you don't know or interact with on a regular basis. Richards offer to buy your drinks is as good as gold. If he stops buying toys... Although those LED's do like like money well spent.

After reading Richards original post, I figure I need to say a Thank You to Kev, as well. I may not be a charter member on b-roll, but I have been here for a while and remember back when there wasn't anything else like it. There still really isn't anything else like it. Yeah, there are other sites out there that do pertain to shooting and production and TV, but they're just not the same. For the most part, this has always been a largely PROFESSIONAL WORKING member base. Some of the other message board sites, while they do have pro's that are at high levels shooting network and feature narrative work, it's mostly people that aren't doing it for a living or doing it as a side job. So before I ramble on and really take the train off the tracks with a hard left turn, I'll just say Thanks Kevin.