Resume Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewink

Aloha -

I hate to start a new thread about resume tapes but doing a search on that nets too many results for me to weed through. Plus, this is something I'd like to ask specifically of the chiefs.

If you are applying for a job should you 'specialize' your resume to the listing?

For instance, I am apply for an overnight job somewhere so should I only include on my tape night packs and spot news stuff?

Also, being nightside I get a fair amount of spot news, but it's not usually packed till the next day for follow-up. In the packs, 99% of the footage is mine, with the exception of a daylight interview and the stand up. If I include on my 'tape outline' which I include with my tape that I did only shoot the night video, is that okay or not?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1911A1

I'm not currently a chief, but I'd have to say that tailoring a resume` for the job your trying for is probably a good idea. It wouldn't be a bad idea to show them some other stuff as well, though, to show your versatility.

I recently applied for a job that does a lot of long-form pieces and, while my resume` tape was 90% sweeps stories, I put a couple of other good daily stories on it just to show that I can do other work as well.

[ September 22, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: 1911A1 ]

McColl

Erin,

If I were you I'd just focus on having a diverse selection of material on your tape. No one wants to hire a one-dimensional photographer. Just because you'll be working overnights doesn't mean you won't be turning packs from time to time. And if you like them and they like you, chances are you won't be stuck getting up at dark-thirty for too long.

Bottom line, if you can demonstrate that you're ready for the market as opposed to the shift, you'll be in good shape. Just make sure you get one or two spot news pieces on there. And always make a note of footage or editing that isn't yours.

Best of luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.