Reporter & photog killed in Virginia during live shot

canuckcam

My condolences to the families and their WDBJ family.

"Two WDBJ7 employees were killed Wednesday morning in an attack at Bridgewater Plaza.

This happened during a live broadcast around 6:45 a.m.

Police are looking for a suspect who apparently opened fire on WDBJ7 photographer Adam Ward and WDBJ7 reporter Alison Parker."

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/law-enforcement-investigating-incident-at-bridgewater-plaza/34923086

Photog Adam Ward, 27, was engaged to the station's morning producer and the team was celebrating her last day at the job.

Reporter Alison Parker, 24, was engaged to one of the WDBJ anchors.
https://twitter.com/chrishurstwdbj/status/636531364356063232/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This is the video of the live shot. It may be disturbing.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2186031/gunman-opens-fire-during-live-tv-news-report-2-journalists-killed/

Last edited:

satpimp

Horrible story. It's a tight fraternity. Prayers , thoughts and condolences. We are all less for this loss. Be safe and treasure your friends, colleagues and those you hold dear.

Cambot Mk. II

I've been out of the business for about 8 years now but wanted to stop in and offer my condolences to all those affected by this senseless and selfish act.

Lensmith

One of the stations I was flipping through to watch current coverage of the event used a part of the video shot by the shooter himself.
It was all he recorded up until just before he pulled the trigger the first time...then they froze it and let the audio continue.
What got me about the video was seeing him arrive and stand there for a bit before firing. He was obviously watching the live shot and I noticed he realized the photographer was panned off of the reporter and shooting location video as the reporter continued the interview.
He purposely waited until the camera had panned back onto the reporter before opening fire. He wanted to be sure and have the reporter seen by the television audience...making sure he got the most "horror" out of his plan.

The only good thing that came out of the day was him not being alive at the end of it.

Like many...it was a small event in a small television market which I will sadly remember for the rest of my life. :(

BluesCam

Totally disgusting! I cannot bring myself to watch the video... So many lives shattered by one insane individual.

cameragod

Before this I've had to "unfriend" a surprising number of people who want to send me gruesome video on auto run. I've seen enough stuff in real life without getting sent horrors to my timeline that I'm supposed to "like"

I guess from now on if its just me and the reporter we will be on the sticks so I can watch our backs.

Lensmith

The other point I've arrived at...this was on no way a TV news "horror".
This was a work place violence situation which could and does happen in any type of job.
This did not happen because they were a TV crew. It is a disgruntled coworker who had been fired coming back and exacting his psychotic revenge on those he blamed.
Another version of "going postal".

tarzan

The other point I've arrived at...this was on no way a TV news "horror".
This was a work place violence situation which could and does happen in any type of job.
This did not happen because they were a TV crew. It is a disgruntled coworker who had been fired coming back and exacting his psychotic revenge on those he blamed.
Another version of "going postal".
If any more incidents like this happen in the TV news business, will we start hearing expressions like "going TV news"?

tarzan

If this can happen to a two person crew, imagine how dangerous it can potentially be for reporters who have to shoot their own video as one-man-ban...-er, uh, I mean, "multi-media journalists"...

1911A1

If any more incidents like this happen in the TV news business, will we start hearing expressions like "going TV news"?
For years I've said that it's a testament to the patience of our brethren that the term "going photog" hasn't entered into the American lexicon. :D

BluesCam

The local paper today said this out of control mad man fired 17 shots. I think it is amazing and great that the photog's camera footage is what identified the deranged killer.