Question about FCP Motion

TexasDave

Recently got the Final Cut Studio 2, and I have a question about Motion. I am trying to create a simple text effects, where words appear on the screen and fade away. I'd like to have multiple words appear and fade away at different times on different parts of the screen, maybe even using the Glow Filter. Having a hard time learning Motion.

Anyone explain how to do this or have a good FCP website to learn this? I'm strong in editing, not so much in animation or 3-D effects.

Baltimore Shooter

I am trying to create a simple text effects, where words appear on the screen and fade away. I'd like to have multiple words appear and fade away at different times on different parts of the screen, maybe even using the Glow Filter. Having a hard time learning Motion.
You can do that right in FCP, no need to go to Motion. I did it in FCP 3 and 4. Don't know about glowing text though, but definately moving text.

Warren

Necktie Boy

Yes, you can do it in FCP....There are a few ways of doing it. I don't know about the glowing edges, but if it's a filter, you may be able to use it on text. I don't have FCP in front of me. The easy way is to place the text where you want it to show. Drop the text on the timeline. position where the text where you want it. Then put the fade at the begining and at the end of the text clip.
A good book just to point out the everyday stuff is a book by Rick Young. The Focal Easy Guide To Final Cut Pro 5.(9780240520155) It has the everyday uses that you will come across, like the text placement and fading. It's a very handy guide. There may be a FCP 6 in the making....If you can find FCP4, that had a chapter of Live Type. FCP 5 has a chapter in HDV....
By the way, I never use FCP simple title tool, I use the 3d title...It's the Boris version. Easier and better text. But I don't know if FCP 6 has that.

I have two great ideas for you...first off, sign up for Larry Jordon's monthly newletter. http://www.larryjordan.biz/ Larry is THE guy to answer any and all questions, no matter how simple or unique. Second, and I just found out about this website only a couple of months ago, go to Lynda.com and sign up for their on-line FCP, Motion, Soundtrack, etc. classes. One of my co-workers teaches FCP and HE takes these on-line classes...that's how good I hear they are.

Good luck!

Canonman

Recently got the Final Cut Studio 2, and I have a question about Motion. I am trying to create a simple text effects, where words appear on the screen and fade away. I'd like to have multiple words appear and fade away at different times on different parts of the screen, maybe even using the Glow Filter. Having a hard time learning Motion.

Anyone explain how to do this or have a good FCP website to learn this? I'm strong in editing, not so much in animation or 3-D effects.
Doing this type of thing requires learning the concept of keyframing. However, Motion makes this stuff easy as you can just turn on the record button and move stuff around. Motion will automagically generate the keyframes for you and you can fine tune them after the fact if need be. Use the 'behaviors' part of motion to make text or other objects do things like fade in/out.

As was suggested, many good tutorials on the web, just pick some and dive in.

cm

EditOne

Check out creativecow.net for forums and tons of tutorials. Also, the apple pro training series of books (by peach pit press) is an excellent collection of tutorials to help you learn the application. Good luck