Protecting your monitor

2000lux

I just bought a 17" Sony OLED monitor. Its soooooo pretty!

Any suggestions on protecting the screen, other than never taking it on a shoot? Should I just velcro some plexiglas on the front so I can remove it when necessary? Any other suggestions?

At the very least I need to get a Pelican / Storm Case for it.

Also, can any one recommend a good light stand adapter for it?

Necktie Boy

Hope Doug Jenson will pipe in. He had a very nice mount/protection for his monitor.
It had wings, and a protection screen, I think. Maybe a search will find it.

Douglas

Okay, I'll pipe in. :)

First of all, I have the same Matthews mount for my 17" Sony that John recommends. It's works very well and is worth the $.

The mount/wings that Necktie Boy refers to is just the rack-mount handles that came with the monitor. I keep them attached to the monitor as added protection from being bumped and they provide a natural place to lift, carry, and reposition the monitor. In fact, at a workshop in Maine last month I allowed the monitor to topple over on a stand when a cable got pulled too hard (totally my own fault) and the rack-mount handles took the whole brunt of the crash and just got a little bent and scratched. The monitor itself came through perfectly.

I carry the monitor (with the Matthews mount attached) in a Pelican case. I lay the monitor face down but the rack mount handles work very nicely to keep the screen elevated above the foam. Nothing ever touches the screen. I can also squeeze in a couple of video and power cables.

I've been on the road shooting since September and I don't have that monitor with me so I can't tell you for sure what model of Pelican case I use. I think it is a 1600, but don't quote me on that. I'll be home in a couple of weeks if someone really wants to know what model it is. It is a tight fit -- but that's what you want! You don't want any movement to be allowed inside. Pretty sure it is the 1600.

I can pull the monitor out of the case and have it setup on a stand or a table top in about 15 seconds.

Oh, one more thing, I also have a d-tap to 4-pin XLR cable so that I can power the monitor from one my camera batteries. I only plug the Sony into a wall if I will be in one spot for more than a couple of hours, otherwise I power it from a battery. The battery goes into a zippered case that hangs from the stand.

BTW, I am happy to say that on most shoots I'm 100% battery operated now for lighting, monitor, camera, mixer, etc. FREEDOM!!!!

http://www.vortexmedia.com/Guide-to-Sony-F55.html

Doug do you know off hand how much bigger the 1600 is than the 1510 carry on case. And or do/ you think this monitor might fit in a 1510 case as well? Most of my cases are that size and I try to keep to a more or less common size for stacking purposes.

Douglas

I'm not sure how those cases compare so you'd have to look it up. Like I said, it's a tight fit in the 1600 so if the 1510 is much smaller it surely won't work. Width is the only dimension where you might have an inch or two to play with.