Professional development

Sasquatch

I run an ENG Photo department of 12 guys. We have a budget to bring in a speaker for the day. Flight to Edmonton, hotel and fee. Who can recommend a good ENG speaker?

MMrozinski

Scott Rensberger came to WAVY about 2 years ago. I wasn't there during the seminar but watched it all on video. I thought he did an excellent job. He is very passionate and loves the job. Scott is a VJ and can provide help to both the Reporters and Photographers. It was something our entire news department attended. He offered a lot up about being a great storyteller, being a solid photographer, having passion about news, operational ideas for collaboration, and how to have success in your career.

nautilusvideo

Dave Wertheimer, currently at Rum Jungle Media in Minneapolis, St. Paul. He's been a fixture at the NPPA workshops for years, travels worldwide to give workshops and is a fabulous storyteller and teacher.

jim sitton

PRO user
AWESOMBURGER?

I've seen Scott Rensenberger twice.
Book him and you too will call him "AWESOMBERGER!"
He's been a one man band for many years and is one of the best storytellers I know.

Sasquatch

Scott Rensberger

I saw Scott speak to a group of journalists a couple years ago.
Unfortunately they only wanted to hear "stories" about his various shoots. I almost walked out of the session. Very disappointing. I was looking for something I could bring back to my job of shooting (yes sometimes mundane) daily news. Instead I got a glimpse of a world I would likely never be a part of. Maybe more than a little jealousy crept into my mind as I listened to stories of hurricanes and burning man, but really the session was almost useless in my everyday work.

I am looking for "instruction and inspiration" for my ENG Photo department of 12.

Scott's catch phrase of “I live by the saying, A good story is EVERYTHING. If you don't have a great story, then everything you do to help a bad story is equivalent to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.” is less than inspirational and likely deflating.

Should I give Scott another chance? Will he tailor a day for working Photojournalists that need inspiration to be better everyday?

JimmyS.

Try Mark Anderson. As far as I know, he doesn't shoot news anymore, but he spoke at our shop several years ago and is awsome. Maybe Doug Burgess, he spoke at our shop, too. Both are multiple NPPA winners as well as (it seems) hundreds of other awards in news. I think Doug is in Dallas, but I'm not sure since I don't shoot news anymore.

nightteamnews

want a great photojournalist, Ralph Rayburn in Miami. WSVN-TV. He was a photog, then started shooting breaking news stories with the station taking him live shooting the story and ad libing, now he is the photojournalist on SKYFORCE 7. Fantastic photojournalist, from breaking news to pkgs to specials. And a really good guy

David R. Busse

How about reporter (and soon to be one-man-band) Wayne Freedman of KGO-TV, San Francisco? He's the author of "It Takes More Than Good Looks To Succeed In TV News"; his style of crafting stories is as much about photography and editing as it is writing; he's a great speaker; and all of the stories he talks about are stories shot on "day for air" or similar tight deadlines--no stories thath took a week to shoot, two weeks to write and a week to edit, etc. You might even want to invite some reporters along.

Wayne's father, the late Mike Freedman of ABC Sports, invented much of what we take for granted about TV sports coverage, including the use of hand-held cameras on sidelines, etc., so Wayne comes from a blood line of visual communication.

JimmyS.

want a great photojournalist, Ralph Rayburn in Miami. WSVN-TV. He was a photog, then started shooting breaking news stories with the station taking him live shooting the story and ad libing, now he is the photojournalist on SKYFORCE 7. Fantastic photojournalist, from breaking news to pkgs to specials. And a really good guy
Yeah! I've seen (heard) his stuff. Really good TV.

EFP

How about reporter (and soon to be one-man-band) Wayne Freedman of KGO-TV, San Francisco? He's the author of "It Takes More Than Good Looks To Succeed In TV News"; his style of crafting stories is as much about photography and editing as it is writing; he's a great speaker; and all of the stories he talks about are stories shot on "day for air" or similar tight deadlines--no stories thath took a week to shoot, two weeks to write and a week to edit, etc. You might even want to invite some reporters along.
Wayne Freedman’s story telling is among the best. However I’m not sure that a reporter, any reporter, no matter how great could fully relate to all the experiences that a room full of 12 ENG “cameramen” of Edmonton’s market size may have. I’m thinking with Dave Busse’s reputation as an excellent long term large market ENG shooter – next time anyone in need of a speaker should try and hire Mr. Busse.:)

Wayne's father, the late Mike Freedman of ABC Sports, invented much of what we take for granted about TV sports coverage, including the use of hand-held cameras on sidelines, etc., so Wayne comes from a blood line of visual communication.
Wayne personally send me this picture of his late father Mike Freedman pioneering the first handheld live camera porta-pack for ABC Sports. Although I have permission from Wayne to publicly display this picture, I only display it in rare occasions. So enjoy the picture.