Primal Scream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad

Aaaiiieeeghhhiiiiiiiiieeeeeoooough!!!!!!!! I've been up half the damn night working on scheduling problems.... Sorry, just had to vent.
Rad

NorthShore

Richard,
I'm curious as to where you're problems lay. Is it to few staffers, to many want time off, to many that are too green? All of the above?
I schedule along with another supervisor and only 1 FT staffer is allowed off per shift. Many times the staffer will not be replaced, it depends on the ratings period.
Elaborate if you would.

FastFord

Schedualing is fun isn't it!
But when there is a S#!7 sandwich to be served, I try to be the first to take a bite of it.
Right now we're down personell, so I'm the one doing the 6 day week.

WV24fpspro

Just curious WHIZkid...

But what would the deal be with the personnel shortage? Is it just for your particular department? Is it long term or short term; and due to what particular reason?

I just find it interesting when the upper level white collars just can't be talked into a rather small budget increase to help the ship run better in the long run. Come on there viking and grab an ore.

ewink

<not a chief, but will chime in anyway>

Some scheduling problems come with what my station has done.

As Tuesday was my last day there, they eliminated my position and gave the money to promotions to hire someone.

Lesson? He who bitches loudest, bitches less.

NorthShore

WV24fpspro writes:
Come on there viking and grab an ore.
Every single day, brother. Every single day. I'm a grunt 'tog like the rest of you. I've just got more on my plate than the average staffer around this joint. ;)

Rad

Because it deals with individuals, I can't really explain my plight. I will say that I'm working nights this week and some of next, I'm using the most senior guys to fill-in on the 1am shift, and I'm trying my damnest to not kill the great attitude of the newer people by putting them on sorry shifts.
Everybody gets screwed!

Lensmith

Originally posted by Rad:
Because it deals with individuals, I can't really explain my plight. I will say that I'm working nights this week and some of next, I'm using the most senior guys to fill-in on the 1am shift, and I'm trying my damnest to not kill the great attitude of the newer people by putting them on sorry shifts.
Everybody gets screwed!
With all due respect...and not knowing the particulars of your specific situation...Is it possible you're trying to be too much of a nice guy when you really just need to be the boss and make some tough decisions for the overall good of the staff?

Sometime there is no perfect solution to keep everyone happy. It might mean letting a "problem" go no matter how much talent or good attitude they have.

I'm not trying to preach but being boss means you look after the overall health of the entire group.

Your job title is "boss" first, "friend" second. Even then...being a "friend" comes down to explaining to the individual the realities of what is expected at work in as nice a way as possible, then fix the problem.

I guess my other question would be...is this a short term problem you're dealing with which is expected to last a specific amount of time and then it will end, or is it something deeper which has no end in sight?

Knowing that might affect my own views...for whatever those are worth. ;)

Again...no offense meant towards you with my question.

FastFord

My deal is a staffing issue. We only have 3 photogs... 4 reporters, and 2 anchors that do "franchise pices".... I situation I have been begging the ND for a long time to equalise a bit.

When some takes vacation, the 2 remainders do a 6 day week. the daysider double shifts on Sat, the eveinging 'tog doubles on Sun... This way, there is no fast turnaround, and we still get a day off.

Right now, we are in a situation where someone quit. Replacements are hard to find. Now, at this point, I will shut up, as what I would say next could get me in a lot of trouble if the right people see this.

Currentchief

Scheduling never makes everyone happy.

Having said that, you have to take a hard look at the schedule and assign people where they'll do the most good (or the least damage). You get the title and the extra money to make decisions like this.

The new people know they're new and what that may entail- i.e., poor schedules at first. As long as they know this coming in, it can't be considered a suprise. praise them for taking the schedules and give them something for it (I once bought a "bottomless cup of coffee" thermos at a convenience store for $20 and gave it to the overnight guy).

These shifts have to be covered and you're the guy to do it. just go...

FastFord

Well,,, I'm happy to anounce my 6 day week h@77 comes to an end the week of the 7th.
The guy in production that I had been using to keep my daysider out of a 6 day, and me out of a 7 day week finaly becomes mine full time!!!
It's enough to make me Puuurrrrr!!!

FastFord

And here's a little some'n by Motley Crue I've been meqaning to post scince I first saw the title of this thread////

Primal scream & shout
Let that mother out
You just gotta say "hey"
Primal scream & shout
Oooh tear it out
You just gotta say

Status
Not open for further replies.