Premiere Pro Problem

MikeW

I am runnning Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 with 2 gigs of RAM. Lately, I have been having a very difficult time editing on the system. I am having a hard time dragging a clip from the edit window onto the timeline. It may take several attempts to do so. Sometimes I cann't drag the clip at all. The same is true for filters and transitions. If I can get it on the clip, it is after many tries.

Rebooting doesn't seem to help. I've unistalled and reinstalled. Nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if all the service pak updates to Windows is affecting Premirere.

What do you think?

Necktie Boy

First question is your system a laptop or home computer?

Do you have a separate "capture" drive or are you being bad and using the boot drive?

How much space is left on the "media" drive?

What format are you editing?

Don't remember the spec's for 1.5, but maybe a Window update is the cause, like you say?

Not know everything, it seems that your drive is getting full.

MikeW

First question is your system a laptop or home computer?

Do you have a separate "capture" drive or are you being bad and using the boot drive?

How much space is left on the "media" drive?

What format are you editing?

Don't remember the spec's for 1.5, but maybe a Window update is the cause, like you say?

Not know everything, it seems that your drive is getting full.
Necktie Boy, This is a desktop system. More precisely, Matrox RTX 100 system. I have a 1TB video drive with 3 partiions which are rough 320 GB each. E has 115 GB F 22GB G 10GB free. I will dump some footage over to an external drive and see if that helps.

BTW: the video format is Matrox AVI

Tom Servo

Which version of Windows are you running? If it's anything beyond XP, you need more ram. 2 gigs is just barely enough to run Vista/7, much less running anything on top of it.

If you're running XP, don't bother with more ram because it won't recognize more than 3 gigs anyway, but try to see if there are other applications running in the background that are taking up memory. (control-alt-delete, choose task manager, and look at the process tab). A good one to look at is Firefox, if you run that. Sometimes it hangs when you close it and sits there hogging a bunch of ram without telling you.

Chugach3DGuy

I remember having this exact same problem when I was using Premiere Pro 1.5 some years ago, only it was more of an intermittent kind of thing. I can't remember the exact cause of the problem, but I do remember it was not Premiere Pro. You may have to reinstall the Matrox drivers, or you might also have to do a system restore to an earlier checkpoint. The system I used back then was an AMD Athlon running Windows XP with a Matrox RT.x2, and there were a few OS updates that would cause the machine to act up.

When did you notice the problem originally? Did you update a piece of software or Windows? Did you download and/or install something like a program, plugin, or even update virus definitions for Norton or McAfee? Something in your system changed, so if you can narrow it down and figure it out, it's not too difficult to fix... usually.

Premiere Pro 1 and 1.5 were quite buggy, and I was certainly glad to move up to CS3 when it was released.

MikeW

I remember having this exact same problem when I was using Premiere Pro 1.5 some years ago, only it was more of an intermittent kind of thing. I can't remember the exact cause of the problem, but I do remember it was not Premiere Pro. You may have to reinstall the Matrox drivers, or you might also have to do a system restore to an earlier checkpoint. The system I used back then was an AMD Athlon running Windows XP with a Matrox RT.x2, and there were a few OS updates that would cause the machine to act up.

When did you notice the problem originally? Did you update a piece of software or Windows? Did you download and/or install something like a program, plugin, or even update virus definitions for Norton or McAfee? Something in your system changed, so if you can narrow it down and figure it out, it's not too difficult to fix... usually.

Premiere Pro 1 and 1.5 were quite buggy, and I was certainly glad to move up to CS3 when it was released.

How do you do a system restore?

Chugach3DGuy

Start button --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

A window will pop up and ask if you want to create a new restore point or revert to an older restore point. You'll want to choose to revert. If you have your machine set up to do automatic updates, you'll usually have more restore points to choose from. Select an available restore point that's a day or more before you started noticing the problem. It will take anywhere from a few minutes to over half an hour, but your system will restart and tell you whether or not it successfully reverted the system. Hope this helps!

MikeW

I' ve clear off the harddrive, defragmented and did the system restore. Premiere is just as unyielding before. Even downloaded a trial version of Adobe CS3. Same results.

Any other ideas guys?

Chugach3DGuy

Something has to have changed on your system for this error to occur. Did you re-install or update your Matrox drivers and hardware?

MikeW

Something has to have changed on your system for this error to occur. Did you re-install or update your Matrox drivers and hardware?
Last spring the system did require a new C drive. I had to re install everything at that time. Up until a month ago or so, Premiere appeared to function normally. The only software I have recently installed came with my Lumix FZ100---Silkypix and photo fun HD. You don't think these two are the cuprits do you?

Chugach3DGuy

I don't think they would cause a problem, but it couldn't hurt to uninstall and see. Are you running any anti-virus software? I have run across problems in the past when virus definitions update and deem some obscure but important file or driver a threat, causing all kinds of non-functionality. Actually, dealing with Norton and McAfee software got to be such a pain that I removed it completely from my workstations. Some might think that to be foolish, but I still have other methods of protection.

MikeW

I don't think they would cause a problem, but it couldn't hurt to uninstall and see. Are you running any anti-virus software? I have run across problems in the past when virus definitions update and deem some obscure but important file or driver a threat, causing all kinds of non-functionality. Actually, dealing with Norton and McAfee software got to be such a pain that I removed it completely from my workstations. Some might think that to be foolish, but I still have other methods of protection.
Uninstalled AVG and some other programs but nothing doing with Premiere.
Still not working.

Chugach3DGuy

Since you're using Matrox hardware, are there special sequence presets or effects you can use that offer real-time support or something along those lines? Did you remove and uninstall the Matrox hardware and drivers and then try running Premiere all by itself? The only other thing I can think of is that something happened with the I/O hardware itself- either some .dll file got corrupted somewhere, or something got scrambled in the process, and now Premiere can't interface with the hardware.

MikeW

Since you're using Matrox hardware, are there special sequence presets or effects you can use that offer real-time support or something along those lines? Did you remove and uninstall the Matrox hardware and drivers and then try running Premiere all by itself? The only other thing I can think of is that something happened with the I/O hardware itself- either some .dll file got corrupted somewhere, or something got scrambled in the process, and now Premiere can't interface with the hardware.
My friend Matt took a look at the system. Right away he started removing programs from the computer that came with software updates. Seems to be running better today than in the last few weeks.

Hope this is the end of the saga.

I find myself wondering how viable a self contained system like the Cassablanca would be as a journalistic tool.

Necktie Boy

I think you will get better support with an editing software/system than using a special box like the Cassablanca for editing.

Remember that you are using an older version of Premiere that was buggy.

MikeW

Well, I'm back in the same situation with Premiere. It worked flawlessly on the workbench when my friend Matt looked at it. Now I'm back were I started.
By all standards it should run.

Necktie Boy

Feel your pain....

Since you are using Matrox hardware, I would delete the drivers, and remove the card. See if Premiere will run smoothly without the drivers and card. Hopefully, PP will run better.

Chugach3DGuy

Feel your pain....

Since you are using Matrox hardware, I would delete the drivers, and remove the card. See if Premiere will run smoothly without the drivers and card. Hopefully, PP will run better.
Seconding this. Make sure you erase every last driver and completely uninstall any software and hardware. Reboot, check to see that nothing related to that Matrox card remains, and then try Premiere.

MikeW

Okay, here's a new wrinkle: I thought about what was different in Matt's office than in my office and why the system worked there and not here. The two main differnces I concluded were the power and the monitor. Today performed an experiment. I removed the computer from my office and set it up on the kitchen table. Brought out a spare monitor and fired it up. I was able to work for two hours. Then I put everything back the way it was---it wasn't long before Premiere had hit the wall again.

How do you explain this?

Necktie Boy

Okay....Now this sounds like the problem with my buddy's computer running CS2....
It sounds like you have the same problem he did. I don't think the monitor has anything to do.....What ended up to be the problem with my buddy's computer was the drive was dying. And it did. So, I say the hard drive is going.