Please Advise: Starting up an Internal Corporate Video Department

I'm a former News Photographer, now in the corporate world. We're starting up an internal newscast and I need to look in to getting equipment: camera, tripod, mic, lights, etc. My boss asked me to do a little research, but I've never had to buy production equipment. I was never a chief photog... Can someone recommend a good place to start?

Necktie Boy

Since you have no experience in buying and stocking equipment, your company should hire one of the local video equipment sales in your area. They will be able to design and supply required equipment and other items.

I say you are over you head.

cameragod

I'd start by looking at what the workflow will be. What quality of product delivered to what format and work my way back from that. Because you are in-house you can tailor everything to your own needs. Think about the product, what equipment do you need to deliver it. Make a wish list, prioritize what will give the best dollars on screen visual impact, maybe a jib arm or LED lighting kit and then cut it back from the nice to haves to must haves. Do a rough price check on B&H, you can look for deals or less pricy alternatives later. See if that is near budget and then go from there.

If you are over your head I suggest swimming :)

Necktie Boy

I shouldn't have been so off the cuff....

If you really haven't purchased equipment for you personal use, it will hard to purchase equipment for a department.

CG has a few pointers. Before you go out and price equipment, ask what is the budget, then go from there. This way, you know what you can get.

cameragod

In some ways I'd rather have someone from the field buy the gear. I've had some hideous gear choices forced upon me by "experts" who don't have to use it. :)

Also if your boss has no idea what things cost they may have a totally unrealistic view of what the budget should be. Don't be too cheap to start with. Corporates can surprise you in what they are willing to pay for "assets" if you can justify the end goal.

In some ways I'd rather have someone from the field buy the gear. I've had some hideous gear choices forced upon me by "experts" who don't have to use it. :)

Also if your boss has no idea what things cost they may have a totally unrealistic view of what the budget should be. Don't be too cheap to start with. Corporates can surprise you in what they are willing to pay for "assets" if you can justify the end goal.
Yes the real issue here is are they being realistic with what it will cost. Some corporate outfits are very well equipped and other times the boss comes back wanting you to produce network TV with a 3-5k budget.