PIX 240 issue

Focused

I have a strange issue with my Canon C100 and PIX 240 recorder. I've spoken to both Canon and Sound Devices and we are not getting anywhere. Wanted to toss it out here.

I use the PIX with the SDI input and other cameras. With the C100, it has an HDMI out. Great. Should plug in and go like the other cameras I have used with it (HCM-150, FS100, signal confirmation with HCK-10 on playback and LUMIX GH-2) When I plug the C100 in the PIX reads: NO VIDEO. No data or frame rate is detected.

At the same time the C100 "detects" the PIX and grays out some of the Menu option. As soon as the recorder is unplugged I get the options back.

The make it really weird.... If I run the signal into a simple 1 to 2 HDMI splitter, the PIX will recognize the camera and allow a 1080/59.94 signal. The menus are also not affected on the C100.

So............ I have been asking around about this problem. No one seems to be able to reproduce it. Two rental houses tested their units (C100 and PIX 240 together) and they got it to work. Another shooter with this combo reported no issues. I can only reproduce the error when trying a different C100. it sounds like the recorder might be to blame here. But, consider this, the camera greys out the menus when connected, but not through a splitter. The recorder will take every other HDMI I throw at it. Both devices have the latest firmware. The C100 is 6 weeks old and under warranty but Canon insists it is not them.

Has anyone run into anything similar with this combo or another HDMI and PIX combo? Thinking I will need to send the recorder in but am afraid I will have to send the camera with it as it seems this is the only way to get the error result. Thoughts?

Tv Shooter

Take the camera to one of those rental houses and try your camera with their PIX, and your PIX with their camera. I'm assuming of course, you've already tried different hdmi cables?

That should narrow down which device is causing the issue. It could be that one of your devices firmware is corrupt, so once you narrow it down to one device or the other, you might try reloading the firmware.

If that doesn't work, you have a bad device.

cameragod

Have you tried manually turning off the SDI? The C100 will only do one at a time, HDMI or SDI, sometimes our C300 doesn't switch automatically and I have to do it in the menu.

Focused

Yes. Tried multiple cables. And you have to manually select the Input. HDMI is active.

Didnt think of corrput firmware.

Thinking about shooting a video of the side by side comparison of a cam that works and the C100 to help explain it to tech support. Dont know if that would help any.