Photog Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

<Cacti>

Was watching a repeat of the "Lumberjack games" or whatever they are called on ESPN. With the log rolling, and tree cutting, etc..
If there was a "photog games" what would be some good events?

100M Back-pedal

The Cable Reel rollup

Speed editing

Shaky & Blue

How about an endurance event, where each photog is has a dockable camera with a BVV-5 deck on the back (with brick batteries and all the accessories) put on his shoulder and has to keep it steady and level for as long as possible. You outfit each camera with a mercury switch on top that causes an alarm to buzz if they shuffle the camera around too much. The shooter with the longest time wins and gets the "Iron Shoulder" medal.

L

<Long Shot>

How about the "Reporter Toss"?

An event that allows photogs revenge on annoying reporters.

cameragod

Many years ago there was an Australian comedy show that had a skit about News crew Olympics, the walking backward slalom, the door knock, but I still laugh nervously about the getting the family to cry on tape… “Do you feel responsible for your babies death?” funny, to close to the truth sometimes but funny.

H

<Hulk>

How about the reporter carry? The event in which you carry a young, green reporter through a year of hard knocks on the desolate, dirt road of their career path?

Dedline

Speed...
how quick you can set up for a presser when you arrive late...
how quick can you rewhite balance or filter shift when moving from inside to outside...
musical chairs event - who can get the gangbang or locker room interview without getting boxed out....
rack focus event - who can track an extreme close up of a football in flight. score 1-10, with decimals...
50 meter run, with camera on shoulder and rolling tape...
feng shui award... who has the best gear setup in their trunk/hatch/van, etc...
speed again... who can setup the quickest satellite shot... (we once made live 6 minutes after parking. Had to wait for amps to warm up,otherwise woulda been 3).
lastly, juggling award - who can perform the most tasks while driving and not causing major accident (eating,on radio,listen to scanner,read map,and oh yeah, drive)

HighDef

Great Idea!

I envision:

1. Live truck setup
TASKS INVOLVED:
Set up live truck, raise mast, tune in, strike lights, and provide audio and video. the live shot is 200ft. away. Or better yet, 1000ft away.

2. Strong Shoulder competition:
Carry tripod, brick bats, audio equipment, and whatever else you need to supply the reporter with the right possible gear for the story. the reporter is far away. don't forget anything!

3. Run and Gun Comp.
Jump over a fence, run over fire hoses, dodge cars. Run up to stand up dummies on the course and with your mic attached, ask what happened, what did they see? You have to roll on the whole thing, after its done, judges look at the video to see who told the best story. You have 15 minutes to shoot because your news starts in 30 mins.

O

<Outta Breath>

Originally posted by HighDef:
Jump over a fence, run over fire hoses, dodge cars. Run up to stand up dummies on the course and with your mic attached, ask what happened, what did they see?

Don't forget driving on the shoulder with your flashers on, "parking", white-balancing on the truck's fender, RUNNING to the car fire, and trying to get that shot before the FD douses the flames.

texshooter

We will have to add the "Sound Bite Scrum" where 20 photogs elbow each other for position with a moving interview.

Or the "Meth Lab Sprint". In this event you have to make it back to your news unit before being eaten by the pit bull that the druggies let "escape" from the back yard.

Or the "Police Line Two-Step" where you have to manuever your way closer to a crime scene before the cops ruin you off. Judged on technical merit and artistic ability, high and low score tossed out, remaining scores averaged. Think of it as figure skating without the Tanya Harding kneecap goons.

M

<macgyver>

And don't forget the Live truck drive off. How far you can make it down a city street with the mast all the way up. So far,(knock on wood)I've haven't done that. :eek:

amp

Originally posted by Shaky & Blue:
How about an endurance event, where each photog is has a dockable camera with a BVV-5 deck on the back (with brick batteries and all the accessories) put on his shoulder and has to keep it steady and level for as long as possible. You outfit each camera with a mercury switch on top that causes an alarm to buzz if they shuffle the camera around too much. The shooter with the longest time wins and gets the "Iron Shoulder" medal.
I'd never win. Iron shoulder? No, I have "mexican jumping bean" shoulder! :D

jbone

omg i have been waiting for something like this!!!!!!!!! :D producer archery would be great and the reporter toss is even better!!!! ok the endurance this is full grear sprint down hill.(falling is encouraged) and then shooting the sot the photog with the steadiest shot wins..

tape toss..with aim..

set a reporter of choice behind the clown figure then chuck the beta 90 min tape as hard as ya can to see if you break a nose or lip...at least take out an eye....bonus points for blood

the nd roll..

tie the nd to the back of the news car then drive to a medium pace when you turn cut the rope and see how many times they can make a complete roll... bonus points for flips.

tripod derby...

hitting the reporter between the legs as hard as you can with your tripod....judgeing will be as follows..
power- motion of the reporter after the initial impact..
sytle-if the reporter is dead.

bonus points- if the tripod sticks... :D ..ok i know..

L

<Long Shot>

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
I don't think the "Reporter Toss" can be beat!
Thanks! You don't know how many times I've wanted to just toss one, ecspecially bugging me while I'm editting.

2000lux

Obstacle course:

Manuver through a non handicaped accessable office building with a full load of gear (camera, tripod, light kit and run bag). Best time wins, penalties for dropping any thing.

Photographer spelling bee:

I know I'd lose.

:rolleyes:

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.