photog courtesy?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

<respectful>

What kind of courtesy should photogs give each other in the field?????

amp

Originally posted by <respectful>:
What kind of courtesy should photogs give each other in the field?????
If they need a little help, like your reporter holding their mic, a piece of gaffer's tape, keeping an eye on their gear when they use the restroom, that's all fine. It also depends on your past relationship with someone. Just remember, you don't want to build up hard fellings with your fellow shooters. They may be watching your back someday at a police scene, or a live shot, and keep you safe.

M

<Me>

I've let guys use batteries, tapes, helped fix stuff..etc... As long as everyone is nice I have no problem with helping. If the photog is a jerk I remain nice but don't offer any help.

photogguy

And don't forget to try to be aware of the other shooters when getting b-roll. That way, you can make the effort to stay out of their shots, and hopefully they'll return the favor.

When we're out in the field, we're all in the same boat. Courtesy is always a good option...it beats being a d*ck. Short of giving out exclusive information, I'll always help a fellow photog.

C

<Chase>

Hell, I've gone as far as plugging in my camera and shooting someone elses live shot for them when their photog was stuck and couldn't get to the scene in time.

It was after I'd shot my own live shot, of course - and listening to the conversation the reporter and others back at the station were having, I'd say they were hurting pretty bad at that moment.

I've had other photogs set up my camera and start shooting for me when I've been trapped in the truck because my desk can't figure out when to send one photog and when to send three.

We're all in this together as far as I'm concerned, and as long as you all understand that I always come first.

M

<Moron Buster>

Chase,

To do the competition's work for them is foolish. If they miss thier shot because they did not have enough help, too bad.

If I was your boss you'd be in trouble for doing your cometitor's work.

I know you're probably young, underpaid and gung-ho, but you have not thought it out thoroughly if you are providing a service of that magnitude for the competition.

Use your head!

Lost in Alaska

If you all work together, you can all get what you need. I went to a big court proceding on Monday. The space for the cameras was big enough for two. I was the third one to show, and fortunately the other two moved a bit to fit all three of us in. We all got what we needed with noone getting stepped on (figurativly).

JumpCut

Moron does have a point. I am all for co-operation, and have leant and borrowed batteries and helped new guys with camera problems. However, there is a line that has to be drawn. I will not shoot anything for the competition or allow them to borrow a camera if theirs dies (we are on a different format anyway).

Like other things in the workplace, if you start doing something regularly it soon becomes expected. Its nice to help and be helped at times, but I certainly dont expect any help from my competition.

The live shot example above is silly. That is just taking away any advantage your station might have had in that situation. Helping a fellow shooter on a personal level is one thing. But helping out an entire station is quite another. Any ND who knows their stuff would be furious with you.

aussie

I with Moron on this one
Its a bit silly to do the oppositions job.
Not a good career move , people do talk a lot
in TV
Having said that if the guys not a jerk I will
lend a battery for the duration of the shoot

G

<geek>

as a stringer I see alot more cooperation than I thought I would going into this. I am often a bridge between stations. I expect things like letting everyone get the pio at the same time the closest in reporter hold the mic's, leaving on lights of the closest in live truck for the live shot row for back lighting, reporters sharing some info chores as in you make this call and we'll figure out who's in charge of that. shareing when that vehicle we're all waiting for is about to arrive and what side of the building. these are some of the basics. but that all go's out the window when thiers one jerk. I've only encountered two or three. but when thier there were all on our own, and it sucks.

the jerks are those who have a bad attitude. give no solutation, get up too close to get that better shot for themselves yet intrfearing with yours.

if the crew who didn't have a camera thier yet had been good to me in the past and it really didn't interfear and no one would know I'd do it as that kind of favor could be done in the future for me.

we do have to remember really we're all in the same boat, in the field we can't be exclusive to each other. more and more things are getting more diffacult as for access and safety.

Rock

There was a thread back in January on this topic that sparked a lot of good discussion.

You may want to check it out. It was titled "Friendly competition"

P

<probly wrong but.........>

I worked weekends along time ago. A friend of mine omb for the comp. We helped each other by me shooting his stand-ups (he was really working on a resume tape) and he would do the interviews for both of us. Only on the breaking stories of course. We didn't advertise it, do it in front of the other guys, he got his tape, I got good info it was all good. I'm sure that was very wrong but, chalk it up to youthful stupidity. Wouldn't do it now but then, why not? Strongly suggest new guys don't do this. If you get caught it's probly your job.

C

<Chase>

Actually you're right and wrong (my opinion) at the same time. I was very young, gung-ho, and lifeless four (five?) years ago when I shot the comp's live shot. How could you tell? I guess it's just the enthusiam in the notion that tells it all. But... there are still a couple of people and situations in which I would do it again, albeit extreme, there are circumstances.

I've had other photogs, reporters, truck ops, and even Asst. NDs save my ass. Not just help me out, but literally SAVE MY ASS. I work with some of those people still, and while being extremely carefull to not get myself in trouble, there just are some people I'll go a little farther for.

Those are the people, of course, who don't get themselves in those situations often and are very good and care alot for what they do.

HOWEVER... looking back at the original offense, that particular situation didn't warrant my stepping in, and I was pretty dumb to have done it then.

kfatica

I think you'd find Cleveland is a pretty unusual market in a few respects. Most of us who have been here for any length of time have a mutual respect for each other and we've all helped out in times of dire and exasperating troubles.

One way in which we are unique is during press conferences. We have a mutually agreed upon rule that during press conferences we all drop our mic flags. Sounds crazy, but most of us adhere to this except for the radio reporters who continually insist on shoving their cubes in front of faces during gang bangs. That's irritating.

There are many of us vets here with 20 years or more of experience who get along quite well. I've loaned batteries, tapes and even cables to guys and have also been the benefactor of similar assistance. I've even held up reflectors for lives for my pals in the past. We still remain competitive but without mean-spirited methods. As long as my work is done I have no problem lending a little assistance.

You can still be aggressive and civil at the same time.

All the best,
Kim.

Y

<YO GEE>

Do what ya got to do just stay out of my shot. I stay out of your so you should do the same and stay out of mine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.