Photog Attacked

shootercub

strapped

Yikes!

That seems so much like almost 90% of the interactions all of us have with the public. Here in Atlanta, almost EVERYBODY wants to be on tv to promote their new rap CD. Other people are interested in what news paper we're with or what story we're working on.

But for people to come back and attack?? I've never seen that!

How do you guys defend yourself?
Do you carry? At least a screwdriver?

Last edited:

ewink

How do you guys defend yourself?
Do you carry? At least a screwdriver?
That's when you hop out of the truck and start yelling "I'VE GOT A TRIPOD AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT!"

I dropped mine on my foot once... I can't imagine how much more it would hurt if I wanged someone upside the head with it.

SEPhotog

A little off topic,

but how can a TV station use a 35 millimeter point and shoot camera in the graphic for this story? They don't have some video of a TV camera around...or two cameras so one could get video of the other?

amp

Hope the photog heals up fast. I can't count how many times we've been harrassed by idiots on the street. I pity the fool who tries to bother me. My rage is bubbling just under the surface, and I've been itching to aim it at someone other than that freakin' Avid. ARRRRGH! What do you mean you can't transfer pkgs with different sample rates? *bang* *crash*

pre-set

I see it as a rite of passage.... I got my asss kicked good and hard many years ago at the University of Maryland during a post game "celebration"... It happens, ya now? The best you can hope for is to get a few of your own licks in and hope it's over quick... Then you don't fear it anymore.

cameradog

From that Oregon Media Insiders site:

"Needless to say, Wilson's live shot and package were cancelled for the night, and here's hoping she came through it all in one piece emotionally. I'd be a basket case."

WTF? The photog got sent to the hospital, and this idiot's concern is how scared the poor little teevee reporter was?

LoomisP2

Could have something to do with all cubs stuff he has on.

NO! JK. Sorry bad taste.

Anyway, had a lady think I was taking shots of her while smoking. I was shooting the building. She walks over asks who I work for and why I'm taking pictures of her. (I was across the street on a public sidewalk)

I tell her I'm not taking pictures of her and that's all I will tell her. She grabs my work cell phone off me. (clipped on my belt)
I grab her hands and now here we are, me low 30's her low 40's, tugging a cell phone back and forth and all I can think to do is laff at the whole crazy idea of this happening. That didn't help her demeanor. I get the phone back and she grabs my sticks and walks back across the street. Puts them down on the steps and goes into the building.

Long story short.

The building was the courthouse the lady I find out from witnesses works there. And is described as very mean. (you're telling me) Reporter and I call the police and I find out later she is an asst. state's attorney. Wild!

She was ticketed and put on some sort of medical leave. The head attorney called the station to apologize.

Go White Sox!

cameradog

Anyway, had a lady think I was taking shots of her while smoking. I was shooting the building. She walks over asks who I work for and why I'm taking pictures of her. (I was across the street on a public sidewalk)
That reminds me of something a little unusual that happened to me once, although it's slightly off topic. I was sent out to get video of several buildings in DC. We needed looooooong shots, at least three minutes each, so I basically just ended up standing there with the camera rolling. I had a bunch of them to do, so I basically was trying to get one good long shot of each and jump in the car to head to the next one.

I set up across the street from one of these buildings, on a sidewalk where there were no restrictions whatsoever on shooting. About two minutes into my shot, a woman came out of the building, walked into the street where she would be in my shot, walked right up to the camera, stood there with her arms crossed to block my shot with her body and started giving me the third degree.

Say, here's a picture of that woman:

Now you can more easily picture the exchange along with me.

Now I was going to have to start over, and I was already running behind, but she wouldn't get out of the way to let me get my ONE LONG SHOT and leave. I told her who I was and whom I represented, and she started asking me who had given me permission to shoot the building and why I hadn't checked in with their security before shooting from that public sidewalk. Then she threatened to call my company to make sure I was who I said I was (even though I showed her my company and Senate credentials). She was one of the rudest people I ever encountered in DC, and that's saying a lot.

Now, you're thinking, that's not unusual. Everybody has stories of people who don't know any better trying to tell you where they can and can't shoot.

Except that the building was the CBS News bureau in DC, and that woman was Janet Leissner, the bureau chief there. Of all people, she should have known better.

After she was gone, the guy with me said, "How would she react if we blocked one of her photogs' cameras on a public street?"