Photo Forensics

TightShot

I would like to pose a hypothetical question here. Any suggestions on a person to contact regarding photo forensics and any speculations welcome.

Here it goes:
Say an old photo were submerged in warm, dirty water for several weeks, perhaps months - either encased in a plastic photo folder insert from a wallet or just stuck into a pocket of a wallet. How long do you think the image on the photo would be discernible? How long would it take for the photo to disintegrate?

Last edited:

zac love

I don't know, but I'd think it depends a lot on the water. If it is fresh water that's cold & pretty clean (like Lake Superior), I'd think it'd last longer than something found in a swamp down in Florida, or in salt water.

If I had to guess, with really nothing to back up my guess, I'd say the baby photo in my wallet could survive in the cold / clean water for 10 years, vs. 9-12 months in some warm / dirty water before the photo really falls apart.

I don't know, but I'd think it depends a lot on the water. If it is fresh water that's cold & pretty clean (like Lake Superior), I'd think it'd last longer than something found in a swamp down in Florida, or in salt water.

If I had to guess, with really nothing to back up my guess, I'd say the baby photo in my wallet could survive in the cold / clean water for 10 years, vs. 9-12 months in some warm / dirty water before the photo really falls apart.
Yeah I mentioned this on the Facebook thread too. In addition to temperature alkalinity and such there is also the issue of fish. And if they start picking at something it can be destroyed pretty quick. Most wallets are leather and I don't know if fish will eat at it or not. As the other divers here can attest fish.. all fish can eat you or in this case bodys clothing etc up.